Project Big Red

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I bet it feels pretty good to run her now. How were the smoke levels? I bet once you get your injectors all popping at the same pressure again you'll have even better power.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Hmm, that may explain a little tick I developed a few months after installing my rebuilt injectors last year. #2 ticks for me. I'd rather it be an injector versus a valve or lifter.

If I get the tube on the timing bracket to sit still again, I'll also check out the difference between my #1 and #4 injectors (timed it off #4).

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I bet it feels pretty good to run her now. How were the smoke levels? I bet once you get your injectors all popping at the same pressure again you'll have even better power.
Smoke is almost non-existent unless I lug it or snap the throttle. If I roll into it clears right up to a very minimal haze at best. I think that turbo is matched pretty darn well to the engine. It screams like a jet on the tarmac going down the freeway so if you don’t like turbo whistle, I don’t recommend it. LOL

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet. I never knew how many people where on this forum around my area. My trucks torn apart over at my garage in Shrewsbury right now.

Now that your done a stage of the project, want to spell out all the mods in one post, or too many mods to go through?

I may have to spy your IC setup, since the frontend is torn off my truck, it may be a good idea for me to install one while its easy.

During this project, did you have any local joints that helped you out a lot?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sweet. I never knew how many people where on this forum around my area. My trucks torn apart over at my garage in Shrewsbury right now.

Now that your done a stage of the project, want to spell out all the mods in one post, or too many mods to go through?

I may have to spy your IC setup, since the frontend is torn off my truck, it may be a good idea for me to install one while its easy.

During this project, did you have any local joints that helped you out a lot?

There’s not as much as you’d think. I’ll hit the highlights.

Engine is a promar reman
Turbo is a GT3788R on Banks plumbing. Small things there to make it work without modding the intake like frenching in a bit of the cowl and a small bit of firewall for the 3” down pipe. IC is a cxracing IC0022 (think that’s right). Piping was an eBay kit I cut up and added bits to to make work. Had to trim the back of the grill to keep the AC condenser in the stack. I made a custom intake hat so it would fit between the intake and turbo. There is also a very custom spacer that positions the turbo up and over the intake because it is MUCH larger than a banks turbo.

Had a shop over in Jefferson go through the trans for me. That’s the only real outside local help.

Dana 60 swap and gear change to 3.55 from a donor

2011 (I think) seats
Raised console
Custom engine harness
Added electrical panels.
Overhead console is from an f650

Pretty much the rest of it is stock refurbished ford.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's plenty. I will have to check the truck out at some point. We should do a 'local' meet since I see a few other folks around the southern pa, western md, central md region.

So the gt37 is a t3 flange? I was contemplating digging up a used HX35 and maybe shove it on, but I don't think I want or need that kind of power, so I will probably just stay with the ats 093

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3788R has different turbine housing options. The Moose Boost turbo that I would have bought if this one hadn’t fallen in my lap is a divided T4 I believe. This one is actually a T3. If you shop around you can find housings in both flanges. There has been some debate about housing size because there are 3 A/R options. Mine is the 0.89 I think. I think Heath has the 0.99. Not sure about the others even though we have discussed it. Check out tjsea’s build thread.

To me the bottom line on the turbo is it seems like I can use all the fuel my bull moose pump is feeding it now and keep the EGT’s in check. I just didn’t want to drive by pyro all the time.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have the 3788R turbo. it should be the larger housing but im not 100% yet. I have the 90cc pump and an IC. the only time it will get warm is if I lug it but other than that I really never need to look at the pyro.

I have some info in post # 2371, 2373.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...so from what you're saying, 17 PSI is enough to fully digest a bull moose? I like the sound of that, because I probably couldn't get much more than 20 PSI without risking my head gaskets.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting...so from what you're saying, 17 PSI is enough to fully digest a bull moose? I like the sound of that, because I probably couldn't get much more than 20 PSI without risking my head gaskets.

I have a Bull Moose IP on my chip truck with a banks,waste gated sidewinder & Intercooler.13 PSI peaks.EGT's are no issue when running inside the GCVWR.When pushing the limits and or over what 3.55's are rated for (I'm talking up over 18k.15-16k gross,I probably don't even need a gauge),I do need to downshift to help EGT's.With the F450 up and running,I don't have a need to push that truck past it's limits like that though.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Bull Moose IP on my chip truck with a banks,waste gated sidewinder & Intercooler.13 PSI peaks.EGT's are no issue when running inside the GCVWR.When pushing the limits and or over what 3.55's are rated for (I'm talking up over 18k.15-16k gross,I probably don't even need a gauge),I do need to downshift to help EGT's.With the F450 up and running,I don't have a need to push that truck past it's limits like that though.

Once I get a better turbo setup, an intercooler will be next. Its gonna be tricky to fit an intercooler behind a bullnose grill though. Can't help it, I like the OEM look LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online