Project Big Red

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
So here’s today’s update.

I’ve been worried to death over a tick that seemed to develop over the last couple days. Given past history, you can understand my concern. So tonight I climbed up under the hood and listened. Definitely on the pass side. Okay. Sounds like toward the front. Start cracking injector lines. 5, nope. 7 nope. 1 aha!! Seems like the tick goes away. Now. This begs the question if number 1 injector is making noise, could that explain the change in timing I found since I timed on #1 line? It was not ticking when I first timed it. Can someone refresh my memory on what causes fuel knock? Is it popping early or late?

A weak #1 injector makes total sense! An injector with a weak spring will open earlier and make the timing appear to be more advanced. Advanced timing will definitely rattle more. I think you nailed your timing mystery.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any smoke at idle. That’s typically a leaky injector though right?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check timing on cyl 4 and compare
Probably will do that in a little bit.

Right now the AC is pumping down. With the warm days, I needs my AC back.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got the lines re-routed to fit a little better. Tossed some heat shield on over the turbo area. Hopefully that all clears.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update #2.

AC charges. Drier temp is like 36F. Low side pressure is 35-37 after 36 oz is actually spot on to a hair over for the outside temp.

Okay. Think we are okay on that front.

Okay. While I was at it and had it warmed up.... I checked timing. Checked #1 first. 9.2. Right where I set it. Checked #4. 8.3. Well, there’s your problem. Man I got all the luck. It just happens to be bad. I guess at least it’s not an internal problem making the noise. That injector is all over the place. It doesn’t show the same behavior as #4 at all through the rpm range. So I set it to 9 by #4 for now.

Add one more thing to deal with this winter. [emoji21]

[emoji849]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive also discovered I only have Hi on my hvac fan. [emoji849]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have to say I’m pretty happy with the old girl. We hitched up and took off with the camper and it ran great. I actually saw 17 psi at one point. 5th gear, foot flat on the floor for a while up hill just to see what it would do. 15+ psi and 1000 EGT. Yes ladies and gentlemen that means I pretty much am able to use all my fuel. About the third time I did it it blew an IC boot and we quickly learned how much NA sucks for a couple miles. LOL

New hitch setup works pretty well. Still a little fine tuning to do there but it’s better than before.

Pretty much got 10 mpg towing at faster than I should have been. [emoji6]

If she holds together by next year I’ll have a very solid tow rig I believe. May not win a lot of races up the mountains but I don’t think I’ll be in flashers and truck lane territory either.

You must be registered for see images attach