Project Big Red

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I guess post 28 is the real start of it all. Actually 4 years to the day. 10/1/2013.

time fly's doesn't it.

I can make about 17 lbs with my truck. the cool thing is towing on the highway doing about 70 to 80 mph the EGT will be around 900 to 1,000 and I can keep laying on the throttle and the boost will climb and keep the EGTs the same. just some info for you.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
time fly's doesn't it.

I can make about 17 lbs with my truck. the cool thing is towing on the highway doing about 70 to 80 mph the EGT will be around 900 to 1,000 and I can keep laying on the throttle and the boost will climb and keep the EGTs the same. just some info for you.
This is what I’m looking for.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last week I towed an 86 Subaru on my trailer and it did great on the highway. I could do 70-75 mph easily.

truck: 8,500 lbs
trailer: 3,500 lbs
car: 3,000 lbs

total: 15,000 lbs

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the drop hitch installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Nose is slightly down. Bars nice and parallel to the ground. This should handle much better.

We will find out soon.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It’s an easy lift set. I had to go to the 5.5” drop I think it was. 2” was not enough.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good man! I'm anxious to hear your feedback since the changes! I really need to get back to working on mine again, haha!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sideling Hill is mosquito / bug free! I smoked both sides yesterday so you shouldn't have to worry about getting bugs smashed on that new paint! hehehehe! Glad to hear it's back together and you're happy with results!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, one tidbit. I think she’s liking 9 ish degrees better. I drove her to work to put some miles on it. I didn’t smoke out either on ramp. First one I saw almost nothing. Second one it lugged a touch so it was a puff and go. Turbo seems to clean it up quick. The real test will be to load it. I can’t stay on it long enough to see where the needle is going to end. I’ve seen 10 psi on quick snaps but I run out of speedo too quick to just mat it and see where I get too. LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
time fly's doesn't it.

Awesome news! Do you have any more camping trips planned this year to get some travel and hill climb time?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all goes to plan maybe next weekend. Drove it to work today. Feel like something got a lot louder on the way home. Gauges all stayed good. I’m not sure what it is/was but I guess I need to go over it tomorrow. Probably not time tonight. I could just be paranoid. It is a blast to drive. Turbo screams like a freaking jet engine.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So on the way home I thought something changed a bit. I looked over things as best I could but didn’t see anything underneath. I thought maybe the intake tube had come loose. Nope. It’s all good. Pipes might have been banging together but I’m not sure. Fired it up and I’m like man. It sounds advanced. Sounds like the pump is loud. Well, hell, let’s throw the meter on it. So turns out it is advanced. I had it around 9.2-9.5 and it was now 10.5 ish. Huh. How’d that happen? Look at the pump. Doesn’t look like it moved. It was just about exactly lined up with the factory marks and still was. Well okay. Loosen nuts. Move pump. 2 tries and it’s 8.9-9.2.

Sounds a little better. Now. The question, what happened? Cold Advance was unplugged. I checked it both ways. No change so it was off. I don’t get it.

Guess I’ll drive it tomorrow and see what it does.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here’s today’s update.

I have a driveline vibration that I really either didn’t notice or didn’t have before. It comes in between 45 and 50 goes out between 55 and 60. Does it rolling down hill out of gear so it’s not engine related. I knew I had an axle wrap related issue that presents while towing the trailer likely due to my angled spring blocks which I’m replacing when the bed comes off. So I have that little issue.

I’ve been worried to death over a tick that seemed to develop over the last couple days. Given past history, you can understand my concern. So tonight I climbed up under the hood and listened. Definitely on the pass side. Okay. Sounds like toward the front. Start cracking injector lines. 5, nope. 7 nope. 1 aha!! Seems like the tick goes away. Now. This begs the question if number 1 injector is making noise, could that explain the change in timing I found since I timed on #1 line? It was not ticking when I first timed it. Can someone refresh my memory on what causes fuel knock? Is it popping early or late?

So anyway. I did find a loose exhaust hanger that was probably banging around a bit. I may need to adjust the down pipe a little.

Bottom line is I don’t think any of this will keep me from going on my trip coming up but I am going to have to address a few things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online