Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al. I actually found one local. NAPA PN VSS31 I believe it was.

It seems to work. It was really tight getting it into the tcase but it went. Looks like the original.

So got that all buttoned up. Then I went too side and tightened all the IC clamps. Then I went to work on the headlights and other front do-dad's.

You must be registered for see images attach

This always makes me smile. Now we need a couple more bolts in the air dam and a the bumper and hood. Think that's it. ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEAH! The mad scientist has been working hard! She's almost whole again! I bet that sure feels great,Mike.;Sweet

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Startin to look like a truck again! You'll be ready for Sideling Hill before you know it!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's coming together.

Found my fuel leak. It was not the fuel filter. It was a fitting on the head so now I feel like an idiot for swapping filter but oh well.

Checked timing and set it. Here's where we ended up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I wanted a touch closer to 9.5 but I'll try it here first.

Just to show that the cold advance works. I took this video when I started the process. First part is with advance on. Second part is advance off.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In the process of timing I discovered a water leak. Lower rad hose was no bueno. After a few tense moments, I swapped some hose clamps around and we are all good now.

Got the fan and shroud installed.

I checked the exhaust for leaks and I don't seem to have any around the up pipes so hopefully I'm good there now.

So I think that does it. Just got to put the hood and bumper on now and she should be ready to roll. Test drive tomorrow.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, hood is on and lined up. Needed to shove the core support over a bit. Bumper is on. Test drive complete.

[emoji15]

It’s not the same truck. Holy crap. I’ve got boost. It’s much quieter and did I mention... it’s strong? Man. If it’s as good as I think it is, bring on the mountains. Little one got to go with me on the test drive. He approves.

It’s so much quieter, you can actually hear the turbo out the exhaust in the cab. I really haven’t got on it hard yet. 1/4 throttle I’ve got about 5 psi. The little I did get on it I had a little haze out the pipe but that’s it.

Yes I’m happy.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Went for an ice cream run. First time the wife and kid have actually got to ride in it other than around the yard.

Seems hot straight and normal. Drives great. The new redhead steering gear and the work I did on the steering shaft really tightened it all up.

Might get a camping trip in yet before the snow flies.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very happy for you. Glad that the issues have been worked out. It looks amazing. Personally I will be patiently waiting for the follow up reports as you get more and more time with it. Enjoy your hard earned prize, sir!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still haven't gotten that bed painted! Whatcha been doing? :D

So give us the total time.When was she first taken apart and between then and now,how long has it been? I think it's safe to say,she's officially back on the road now,by the sounds of things.