Turbo install

Runningaford

Reaction score
Okay, I've been working on my turbo install, very slowly; in between other things. In all honesty, I've never done something as 'intense' as this is, and am just gonna layout what I've done so far, and more toward the bottom are my more concise questions.

replaced the stock valve covers, and gaskets with the turbo covers.... no problem there.

replaced the glow plugs, since two were bad; going to install a push button as the controller isn't working(gets power, but does nothing, relay works)

replaced the NA wire loom with the provided turbo loom.

After all of the above, I had air intrusion, and decided to replace all return lines; I didn't get any 'positive' snaps when the caps went on. I did lube up the o-rings with lithium grease, as I didn't have any petro-jelly. After talking with Jared, I decided to retry the return lines with petro-jelly I bought, still no positive snaps; so I took his advice that I think came from typ4, and placed an extra o-ring on top of the injector over the cap, where injection line nut tightens down on. Any thoughts there?

After this, sure as heck, the fuel heater had a noticeable leak; I did the 1/2" NPT plug delete, and used teflon instead of jbweld, as I remember reading someone had actually put a pressure gauge on there to check for fuel pressure.... I thought it was a neat idea, and wanted to be able to do that in the future if I chose.

removed the N/A cross over pipe, and cut the exhaust about a foot back from where the Banks downpipe looks like it'll go; I plan on using flex for this connection. the Banks pipe states a 2.75" outlet; and I didn't measure, but the stock pipe looks like a 2.25-2.50 inch. Will I need any special reducers, or couplings to make this happen?

Cut the sound insulation out in the area where the downpipe will go

Rerouted the ground that was on the rear #7 lifting ring to the valve cover.

Moved the vacuum block over, and up 3" inches towards the passenger side.

Removed #7 lifting ring, with it removed the bolts were a 1/4" too long, I tried another set of bolts from another the #2 air intake, and they were the same length........... Does the #7 air intake bolt hole just not as deep? I ended up putting some spacers in there, to build the thickness back up to the original depth, and tightened down; so the lifting bracket is gone, but will the bolts being raised cause any issues mounting the turbo?

Bent the fire wall lip back; didn't like how little it moved, so I used a sawzall, and cut the lip a few times.... It bent enough to allow the banks downpipe to fit in, but very tight. I then realized, I seriously have no clue which way that damn pipe is meant to be routed; does the pyro plug go towards the passenger side, or the drivers side?

Also, cleaned up around the CDR, removed it, took an awl and popped half a dozen 1/8" holes through the pan, and installed the International grommet I got from Typ4, and installed the turbo pedestal.

That's where I'm at right now. I've got a few questions:

there's a bolt on the uppipe just below the actual turbo...somewhat facing the downpipe, looks like a 7/16" bolt, and had a piece of heat shield held there; is that the bolts only function, to hold the heat shield?

the snail has two threaded holes, I assume the one on top is for the boost gauge/probe, but is the other one on the side for anything, or just plug it up(size?)?

I'm missing two bolts where the uppipe connects to the crossover pipe; one's a through bolt, and the other is threaded into the uppipe. Does anyone know the sizes needed; most critically the threaded bolt(width/length)?

If any other advise, please lay it on me..

I appreciate any help I can get.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which banks kit are you installing?

I have a sidewinder, but not sure if the others are the same or not...l

Runningaford

Reaction score
Hi,

It's an ATS factory kit I got from Jared; I needed a downpipe, and bought it off of Summit Racing; I think it's the only one they sell for idis. Does Banks produce multiple downpipe configurations? The reviews, and description indicated it was a factory squished pipe replacement.

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. I see.

No. Only one upgraded pipe for the ats kit.

They did sell multiple full turbo kits. Not much I know about the ats kit, but everything you have described sounds like you are on the right track.

That first bolt does only hold a heat shield.

Never seen a second threaded hole on the snail. Just plug it.

Other questions I am not sure of.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Ah'k, So do you know which direction the pyro hole should face? It's on the side of the bend............. Perhaps a better question, is the downpipe designed to face straight down, or the other way, which I thought was 'correct', has it facing slightly rearward?

Edit: Easier way to ask, does the curved downpipe follow the contour of the engine, as in hugging it, or does it curve away, and towards the back?

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
The second hole on the intake hat is not needed. I had a water injection nozzle in I was playing with for a short while.

Not sure on the down pipe, it mostly hugs the back of the engine and down the side of the transmission. Is the turbo mounted yet? Linking the downpipe up to the turbo should help you guide it in.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
The bolts where the cross over pipe bolt into turbo up pipe casting broke or were no good so I did not include them. I believe they were 1/2 coarse thread. It might have been 7/16, sorry I can't remember for sure. Getting a nut for the stud and a bolt 2 1/2 to 3 inches long should do it. It does not have to be anything special. Regular hardware store bolts will work fine.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Turbo's not mounted yet, I called it a day at the pedestal. I lean towards the pipe needing to hug the engine, but what I find odd is the pyro hole faces the passenger side at that point; which at least to me doesn't make sense with the gauge being on the drivers side.... Seems like it'd be easier to have it on the side that would have the shortest length to the gauge.

subway

Reaction score
I am a little surprised swapping intake bolts did not let them sit flat. I don't think they will interfere though as long as you have a spacer under them to keep the intake tight. I can try taking a look at my 6.9 in my garage.

Sorry for the multiple posts, I am scrolling back and forth on my phone.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pyro should not be in downpipe anyway. Pipe angles back a little. Did you take studs out of pass side exh manifold?. Need to or Y won't seal. Exh pipe bolts are 7/16 course.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ah. I see.

No. Only one upgraded pipe for the ats kit.

They did sell multiple full turbo kits. Not much I know about the ats kit, but everything you have described sounds like you are on the right track.

That first bolt does only hold a heat shield.

Never seen a second threaded hole on the snail. Just plug it.

Other questions I am not sure of.

On my 085 kit I had the intake snail had a threaded plug for the boost gauge
pyro was on the downpipe.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Pyro should not be in downpipe anyway. Pipe angles back a little. Did you take studs out of pass side exh manifold?. Need to or Y won't seal. Exh pipe bolts are 7/16 course.

I didn't take those out. Am I needing to put new studs in, or remove for easier installation, then reinstall? I bought some exhaust sealer I was going to use on there, as the connection isn't that awe inspiring.

Just reading FTE that on the zf-5 there's a nipple/***/poke out, that has to be cut for the downpipe to clear?

Last edited:

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the need for the drain in the valley pan? I am in the process of mocking up my turbo kit and haven't seen a need to do that. Am I missing something?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO its alot easier to install the turbo as 1 assembly with UP pipe.
it takes some effort to get it in there, but you wont hve to mess with the hard to get to bolts.
i install the turbo with the trans mount unbolted and lifted up as much s i can.

most auto stores carry the exhaust reducers, but i would not run your stock exhaust.
you should run a min of 3" exhaust

dynomax sells a fairly cheap kit and fits well.

as posted your pyro should really be in the drivers side exhaust manifold
this way you read exhaust gas temps not post turbo temps.

EDIT: one word needed to be changed. i bet people were looking at me crazy LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828