Starting an 093 turbo install on my 91 F350

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have took care of a few more items and I think I can see the finish line. Turbo is set, and plumbed the oil feed to the block. Put the new replacement turbo glow plug wiring in, moved the gpc to the fender. new return kit. I broke the tps while laying across the motor, so I need to get one of those now. I covered all of it with plastic loom(?) think that's what it's called. Crossover pipe is in. Now I need to get the exhaust figured out and find some fittings that I can use to rig up an air cleaner. I can't afford to relocate the overflow just yet, and I seen a airbox on ebay but I think the price is a little high. So I'll pipe it across to the open spot behind the ac compressor. And that is the next job--air conditioning!!! Not another summer without it
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
That is actually close to where I started off building my exhaust from

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know just yet. I seen a few on Amazon, but really haven't searched. I don't like the way the cdr is angled forward. Doesn't seem like it's conducive to draining.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just to throw it out there, CDD sells factory turbo air boxes if you don't want to run the coolant relocation kit. I got mine from him. He just doesn't list it on his site, gotta call.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So success! I hadto charge the batteries to get it to turn over. But she started with no fuel leaks. No as a turbo newb, is the turbo supposed to spin at idle? When I installed the turbo I had to clock both sides to get itto fit. Now I'm wondering if the waste gate is open at idle. So first does it spin at idle and how do set the waste gate?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the turbo spins at idle. Looks fast to the eye, but compared to the 100,000rpm it'll get to it's nothing. :)

If the waste gate is open it won't build boost under load. Stock wastegate is about 7psi max.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the turbo won't spin till I give it throttle. Did ioverlook somethimng?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you drive it? If it builds boost (7 lbs or more) than no worries. Don't rev the engine to see of it builds boost. The engine should be under load.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the gauges hooked up yet. But after it warmed up the turbo now spins at idle. I found an exhaust leak where the passenger side manifold attaches to the up pipe . Have to wait till it cools to loosen and retighten the bolts.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For this exhaust leak, is it advisable to loosen the turbo pedestal and the exhaust flange on the turbo? I don't want to Crack anything or just go and get some furnace cement and plug it up. When I picked this up the 2 pcs of up pipe were bonded together and didn't want to mess with it. I tried tightening the bolts but I don't want to break anything.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If the turbo is not spinning AT ALL when at idle, the shaft is bound up. Do not Rev it up to force it to spin, it'll wear and eventually snap. Figure out what's binding it up.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once it got a bit warm it spun. Not too much worried now-- it works. But the exhaust leak at the passenger manifold to the up pipe is a drag. I have to pull everything apart, or loosen it, to get the gap to close up.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just for peace of mind, I'd check it again after it's sat overnight. If it's flexing that much, it's still not good.