Starting an 093 turbo install on my 91 F350

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once it got a bit warm it spun. Not too much worried now-- it works. But the exhaust leak at the passenger manifold to the up pipe is a drag. I have to pull everything apart, or loosen it, to get the gap to close up.
Did you pull the factory studs and replace with bolts? The hex on the studs won't allow the up pipe to fully tighten down, if I'm remembering correctly.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you meaning the studs on the exhaust manifold? No I didn't change them I'm going to have to check that out.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOB those studs have to come out. The up pipe is tightened right up to the hexes. Now I have to pull it all apart. They don't make small donuts for something like this do they?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've looked, didn't see any donuts, even asked a friend of mine who used to work at a Ford dealership.
What I did, that seems to be working so far, is use ultra high temp RTV on the flange, so far isn't leaking. But I did have to remove the hex studs and put regular shorter studs on.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why it comes with both. I used just the o ring, works just fine so far.
Nice progress!
There is no non oring version. Only factory and ats use the oring pedestal. My kits come with the correct stuff.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled everything off in record time. Got flange studs out, bolts in and everything back together. Started her up and no leaks. Not taking any victory laps yet. Hopefully the airfilter will get here soon and I can take her for a ride.
Dang man! If I knew that the studs were different I'd have sent them to, who knew? Looks like you're a pro at it now, Quick!

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to remove the studs on my passenger side exhaust manifold. Nothing to do with the parts I got from you. I removed everything and rei nstalled it in like 5 hours. That stud removal is something that people who are doing a turbo install should know.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to remove the studs on my passenger side exhaust manifold. Nothing to do with the parts I got from you. I removed everything and rei nstalled it in like 5 hours. That stud removal is something that people who are doing a turbo install should know.
You should put together the "definitive tech article". And then go to work for NASCAR! 5 hours....... you might be a super hero! I dispised fighting with that thing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I always like to install bolts like you ended up doing. The thing about bolts vs. shorter studs is that with the short studs, you'll still have to fight them if you ever have to remove the Y pipe. When there's bolts used there, there's no studs to have to fight with. One time of seeing the difference will make a believer out of anyone.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There is no non oring version. Only factory and ats use the oring pedestal. My kits come with the correct stuff.
I double checkd your site, the 093 install kit does not come with the paper gasket, the factory kit you sell does come with both. The question in particular is why does the factory kit come with both?

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true Bronco. Once the turbo was back is it was easy to mount the up pipe to the turbo. Once that was done mounting the up pipe to the manifold was easy. And it went together smoothe with no binding. If I left that gap and tried to fill it with something like heat stop it would have blown out in 5 minutes.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I double checkd your site, the 093 install kit does not come with the paper gasket, the factory kit you sell does come with both. The question in particular is why does the factory kit come with both?
IF you would look, the gasket in the factory kit is for the OIL FEED .

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the day finally came. I bought a stock 93-94 airbox because I'm not going to go and try an aftermarket setup at this stage of the game. I need the truck for work and I have no time to putinto this anymore.
So I took her out for a test drive and man is she quiet. It used to drone being that it's straight piped. Now I can hear the radio woo hoo. So seat of the pants tells me it has gotten quicker, but now shifts earlier. I used to be able to chirp the tires, but now it shifts to 2nd so quick. So as far as boost goes I seen it get to 3 psi when I got on it. No smoke or anything . So for the shifting I'm thinking maybe adjust the tps. I'm going to test her out tomorrow by getting g a 5 ton load of stone in the trailer and see how she responds. Thinking maybe turn the fuel up?

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_104214412.jpg
    IMG_20230329_104214412.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 6

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the day finally came. I bought a stock 93-94 airbox because I'm not going to go and try an aftermarket setup at this stage of the game. I need the truck for work and I have no time to putinto this anymore.
So I took her out for a test drive and man is she quiet. It used to drone being that it's straight piped. Now I can hear the radio woo hoo. So seat of the pants tells me it has gotten quicker, but now shifts earlier. I used to be able to chirp the tires, but now it shifts to 2nd so quick. So as far as boost goes I seen it get to 3 psi when I got on it. No smoke or anything . So for the shifting I'm thinking maybe adjust the tps. I'm going to test her out tomorrow by getting g a 5 ton load of stone in the trailer and see how she responds. Thinking maybe turn the fuel up?
What’s the max boost you’ve seen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight