Turbo oil feed

bevtis

Reaction score
In the process of Installing a banks turbo kit, and cannot get the plug for the oil feed out. Any tips on what to try to get it out? Also maybe there’s another location to draw oil from? I think other kits have drawn oil from the oil pressure sender spot, but I already have the the turbo kit pretty much completely assembled and I’m not sure if there would be clearance for it anyway. I’ve tried socket extractors, vise grips, pounding the closest sized socket on, and no luck, just keeps rounding. Not sure if this has been discussed, couldn’t find anything on it.

bevtis

Reaction score
Which plug are you trying to remove?
It’s the one that they say to undo in the banks installation kit, I suppose I could be trying to get the wrong plug out but I doubt it. I will attach pictures tomorrow, but it’s the oil galley plug above and to the rear of the filter close to the transmission.

bevtis

Reaction score
A small pipe wrench
That might’ve worked in the beginning, but now it’s pretty rounded. But it is taking so much torque to try and get it loose, and I don’t think it really should be this hard to remove. The one thing that I can think of to try that I haven’t yet is heat.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might’ve worked in the beginning, but now it’s pretty rounded. But it is taking so much torque to try and get it loose, and I don’t think it really should be this hard to remove. The one thing that I can think of to try that I haven’t yet is heat.
Yea engine plugs removal sucks not really sure what they use but it holds it in there good, you can always tee the oil pressure sensor that’s how my ats 085 is done

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
weld a nut to it.

Attachments

• 43112865_2497629336920826_8111398857822175232_nsd.jpg
    43112865_2497629336920826_8111398857822175232_nsd.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 18

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It takes a 9/32" square socket to remove that plug if it's the one that was put in at the factory. A 12 point socket might work too. At this point, neither one will work since it's been damaged so badly.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good 6" pipe wrench should bite into it. When I say "good" you want a fairly new one with sharp teeth, and I would also recommend not trying the HF crap here because you may only get 1 shot at it.

James

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat it, let it cool, then get a GOOD pair of vice grips.
Always heat this plug first, and scrub that passage clean.

Robm45497

Reaction score
Have you seen where this plug is. ?
Yes, i would find a long chisel or one that i could sharpen to get a good bite on at a angle. I have had harder places like at the rear of my sprinter van that i could not see but only feel to get a nut welded on (not enough room to chisel or air hammer at a angle to get turning). There can be no giving up. May take a few times of walking away with negitivity but i would get it.

bevtis

Reaction score
Yes, i would find a long chisel or one that i could sharpen to get a good bite on at an angle. I have had harder places like at the rear of my sprinter van that i could not see but only feel to get a nut welded on (not enough room to chisel or air hammer at a angle to get turning). There can be no giving up. May take a few times of walking away with negitivity but i would get it.
Tried my best to get it out with heat, hammer and chisel, vise grips, socket extractors, etc. could not get it out for the life of me, ended up taking turbo off and buying a straight an fitting to pull oil from the factory oil sender unit location. It was just going to be plugged so figured I might as well use it. Got everything together and as far I as can tell there’s no leaks and truck runs and sounds great, only issue is my throttle cables are a little bound up so it’s harder to push the throttle. Still have yet to get boost gauge hooked up but I’ll get to it soon. Funny thing is that the night i tried to take it out for a test, my electronic fuel pump decided to die over the week that the truck sat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online