Hypermax turbo question

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright sk I’m looking into buying a turbo for the old gal and there’s plenty of info on the banks kit but from what I see not alot for the hypermax
What are the hp and torque gains?
Expected boost?
Does this compete with the banks kit? I’m drawn to this as it comes without the exhaust

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Don't really have an answer to your question, but I know a lot of people dog on the hypermax turbos, to go banks or ATS. Not really sure why, but perhaps we'll learn soon.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't really have an answer to your question, but I know a lot of people dog on the hypermax turbos, to go banks or ATS. Not really sure why, but perhaps we'll learn soon
Yea just not much info

K-nite

Reaction score
It's on par with the early non wastegated Banks and 085 and 088 ATS non wastegated systems. The turbo compressor H-3 wheel is the same on all the nongated kits. Not sure on ATS turbine, but my old Banks kit is a P trim with .96 a/r. Hypermax turbine is P trim with 1.15 a/r, so it spools slower. Wastegated turbos will spool much quicker, no personal experience. Stock the Hypermax will do 10 psi at 3000 rpm with maxxed stock pump on strong 180kmi engine 5spd 4" straight exhaust. Maybe a 40 hp and 80 ft/lb gain, it will vary.

I put a .84 a/r turbine housing on to quicken spool time and now 15 psi boost. The down pipe is only 2 1/2", eventually I'm upgrading to 3".

Black dawg

Reaction score
Not a lot of difference in overall power, but the wastegated kits make power much earlier......matches the torque curve of the diesel......not a big block gasser.

Used to be claimed that the non wastegated kits would make more power above 2500 rpm and the wastegated kits would fall off quickly above that, worse for highway towing...

maxxed fuel in both, with wastegate set to 15ish (but functioning), the wastegated kits (banks, ats, or ford with elbow and downpipe) will do anything the non wastegated kits will and make power well below 2000rpm.

Exhaust temps typically will be higher with the wastegated kits, and a NON issue on non gated kits.

Olds64

Reaction score
I've never heard anything bad about any of the turbo kits. Just make sure you buy all the parts at once (instead of piecing a kit together). Ask me how I know... LoL

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have driven a truck with a hypermax, and one with an ATS088 kit. The truck with an ATS turbo weighed much more, as it was a crew cab, but it would outpull the hypermax truck. I never revved either one above 2300-2600 rpm, but that truck with the ATS was super responsive and pulled much harder. The truck with the hypermax really didn't seem much more impressive than my naturally aspirated 6.9, but then again I never revved it very high. The hypermax is much simpler by design, don't know much more technical stuff about these kits, except for ATS being wastegated whereas hypermax is not. Also my buddy who owns the hypermax says their customer service is not so great... I have never been around a truck with a Banks kit, but I think that is what I would put on my 6.9 if I were to turbo it, as that is what is most available for that truck. Also have heard good things about that kit.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel was supposedly set the same on those trucks

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now I have a Hypermax that I bought from a local friend, was missing a downpipe and the IP was dying but should have it running good soon.

In my experience Hypermax has amazing customer service

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a wastegated turbo that goes in place of the stock Hypermax turbo? I know that CDD makes nongated upgrades, and 8-10 years ago, @Agnem , Mel at Conestoga Diesel, had an upgraded turbo, no clue if it was gated or not. R&D has their own platform, Moose Diesel doesn't seem to have the "Moose Boost" that Conestoga made in limited numbers. Don't know if anyone else has anything, I'd have to do valve springs and intercooler to be safe with a bigger turbo though...

Regardless I am gonna make a bigger downpipe for my truck, 2.5" is too small, might see if I can make 3.5" work...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Hypermax on my old 6.9 and a friend had a full Banks kit on his 6.9, complete with intercooler.

Everything about his Banks kit was much bigger than my Hypermax.

We were both constantly pulling 24-, 28-, and 32-foot cattle trailers, long hauls across country.

His truck with the Banks felt stronger than my truck, but I had no problem keeping him in sight on long hauls.

Fast-forward to 1989 and all of a sudden every Dodge that came along was running around us and going plumb out of sight within seconds; so, that sort of took the fun out of things.

I still have all that Hypermax stuff laying around here somewhere; several big-eyed no money kids worried me to death about it but nobody with cash in hand ever came around.

I still have the Hypermax combination Pyrometer/Boost gauge in the truck; the Boost gauge only goes to 20-PSI and the 6BT easily maxes it out; I did once bid on an identical Hypermax combination gauge except with 40-PSI boost but somebody else had deeper pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online