Starting an 093 turbo install on my 91 F350

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you haven't turned the pump up yet... Turn it up. After I adjusted my pump I can easily push 8psi and then the wastegate opens. Just watch your Egt's, install the probe as close to the manifold as you can get, or in the manifold itself if possible.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen 2 maybe 3 psi. And that was at 2500 rpm. But like I said it shifts so quick now I haven't wound it up in any gear yet. I turned off the od and wounditup a little in third and it got up to 55 60 and I couldn't even tell if it was running at 1800 rpm or 3000 rpm. It was so quiet. But I'm still wondering if the fitting on the snail is leaking. I don't see boost till at least 2200 +

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dang egt gauge on startup is at 150. I have tocallglowshiftto see if there is a way to zero the needle. And the pickup is in the crossover pipe.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can make 8psi without really trying on an NA pump but the big difference is I can hold it in the gear to do it. When I short shift I’m making 0-2psi. That relatively lines up to your shifting scenario. Boost is just restriction though, why I ask is because there is a certain amount of restriction expected creating boost in this setup and if you aren’t making what’s expected in certain scenarios than something is up.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The dang egt gauge on startup is at 150. I have tocallglowshiftto see if there is a way to zero the needle. And the pickup is in the crossover pipe.
Depending on where the sensor is in the crossover, the reading could be 100-200 cooler than exhaust coming out of the heads. What's important is making sure the aluminum pistons don't start getting soft.
wrapping the crossover with exhaust wrapping will help keep the temp reading closer to actual, but just be mindful of it.
As for turbo noise, I can confirm I can't really hear mine either, it's dead quiet. But the performance proves it's there.
In regards to your startup temp, even my truck jumps to about 150 after a few seconds of running, even on really cold days.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read about the Banks trans command, and how it changes the shift points. I don't know if I can get the short shifting out by adjusting the tps. Before the turbo it used to run out in every gear. Can't wait to see how it runs with the fuel up a couple flats.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Dont waste your money on the transcommand. Tps adjustments will get it right. You are making more power at less throttle position= trans shifts earlier.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late. When I finished up the turbo and installed the gauges I took it out and pulled the trailer with arond 5-6 tons of stone to see how it went. It pulls great, but the trans temp got up to around 200-205 degrees and that made me nervous. So I went and put another cooler in line with the factory one. I was reading that the transcommand woulds keep the trans from slipping. And I'm sure that was the reason for the spike in temps. So I put the transcommand on and now it holds the gear longer like before. But what I have noticed is the temps rarely go over 170 degrees now. And that is with pulling a full load. I don't think the additional cooler would have brought the temp down that much.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late. When I finished up the turbo and installed the gauges I took it out and pulled the trailer with arond 5-6 tons of stone to see how it went. It pulls great, but the trans temp got up to around 200-205 degrees and that made me nervous. So I went and put another cooler in line with the factory one. I was reading that the transcommand woulds keep the trans from slipping. And I'm sure that was the reason for the spike in temps. So I put the transcommand on and now it holds the gear longer like before. But what I have noticed is the temps rarely go over 170 degrees now. And that is with pulling a full load. I don't think the additional cooler would have brought the temp down that much.
This made me look up what normal temps are for an E4OD and it seems that 200F is just fine. Reading around other forums 230 seems to be the max safe limit, but lets face it, you don't want to live there.
Glad to see the temps are down but I just had to look that up. I don't do slushboxes :fight:, so I didn't know off hand.