Transmission bench rebuild kit is it decent? E4od rebuild

Zbmonster

Reaction score
Hey guys been long time since I have got to get on here. Glad to see the page is still going and growing. Well its been a long time coming but its time for the transmission in my truck to be rebuilt. I am going to try and do the rebuild myself. Been watching the class style videos that Transmission Bench offers. If you have seen it I recommend at least checking it out. They also offer kits to rebuild the E4od and the 4R100. I am just wondering if anyone on here has used them and have any input on how good all the parts in the kits are. I don't plan on doing a lot of heavy towing or anything like that. Some mild towing maybe a 4-horse trailer or 5th wheel camper couple times a year. I want to use the TransGo "Tugger" kit and see what other "upgrades" I can accomplish while I'm doing the rebuild. Would like to do this once and be done for long time to come. I am going to add a large cooler to the truck while doing this. Looking at the ATS transmission pan that has the cooling fins on it. Transmission Bench offers TCs as well figure probably should replace it while I'm doing everything. Should I look into replacing the trans pump with a different one? This is the first time attempting something like this but there's a first for everything right.

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
Similar truck to mine, 94 4x4 Auto 7.3 IDI Vin K, except standard cab. Anyway, yes couple of months ago I did rebuild my E4OD using Transmission Bench. I discussed it more in the following post:

Transmission issues- rumble strip & hunting OD​

look for that post and check my posts 39, 48, 50 for my remarks.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just made a post on this asking pretty much the same thing.

The only thing I’m thinking is I’d like to upgrade my parts while I’m in there. Sort of a diy stage 2 rebuild.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also transmission bench doesn’t offer triple disk converters.

I called and spoke to the guy who made the videos.

He was sort of against the idea of upgrading the internals except the tugger kit. Which I differ on that opinion..why not get a billet converter and upgrade the internals.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Save your money on the ATS pan. It is nice looking, but in reality it does not help in cooling. Take your savings and invest in a good quality multi disk converter with a billet cover.

As for the pump. If the number is E9, I would replace it with an F5 pump. Specially if you go with a multi disk converter.

Zbmonster

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I don't plan on doing a lot of heavy towing just smaller stuff is a triple disk TC needed? Would a nice quality lower disk TC be enough for mainly daily use? I don't want to rebuild it again after the build but also know that I'm not going to be putting in the work that others do.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go with the transmission bench guy then.

I tow if I’m using the truck. Once in awhile I’ll just joy ride it. But you even said you’ll tow a 5th wheel horse trailer.

You can’t have it both ways..but the tranny bench guy sells oem tq converters for about $650

Zbmonster

Reaction score
It's only couple times a year that I will tow the trailers but thanks everyone the info you guys are always a huge help

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest risk of the OEM torque converter is the blades coming apart and exploding internally. The more common risk is the clutch piston cracking and giving a lockup shudder condition. When I had my 3 clutch billet converter rebuilt, I asked them to send me photos of the as found internals. It was all like new after 13 years.

As for the tugger kit, I'm not a huge fan of shift kits. Shock loading the drivetrain and transmission internals isn't such a good idea compared to the risk of wearing out clutches a little sooner. Hard parts are expensive to replace. Soft parts are not. So if you do add a shift kit, I would keep it pretty mild. If you need more torque capacity, I recommend adding more clutches, not higher line pressure.

Your truck is turbocharged, so I wouldn't skimp too much on upgrading the hard parts. I highly recommend the later pump and make sure you have the steel carrier overdrive planetary. Power enters first through the overdrive geartrain, no matter what gear you are in. I upgraded all my gears to steel carrier (overdrive, forward and reverse), although forward and reverse carrier failures are less common.

Being a 1994 model year, your transmission should already have the ball-bearing center support. If for some reason it doesn't, I highly recommend upgrading it.

A single, good quality cooler is more than enough for most applications. Mine runs around 100F unless I'm slow crawling up a mountain road...then it gets up to 180 in some cases due to lack of airflow. If ramming uphill through snow, I've seen over 200F (my temp sensor is on the hot side cooler line). This is why some recommend not bypassing the factory cooler, and I'm starting to agree.

The converter is the biggest source of heat, by far. So if you're towing in 3rd or 4th with the converter clutch applied, there won't be much heat generated by the transmission, no matter how much load you put on the truck. If you have to gear down to 2nd on a mountain pass with a big trailer, then the transmission becomes a massive heat generator, and this is where you need the extra cooling capacity.

I also agree that a bigger pan is not worth the money. These things already have a huge oil capacity. I also like the idea of a stamped sheet metal pan vs aluminum, because it won't crack as easily if you bottom out on something. If you need more cooling, add a bigger cooler up front. If you want insane amounts of cooling, install a factory cooler from a 6.0L diesel and upgrade the cooling lines to 3/8". Use steel lines, not rubber.

All that being said, what's wrong with it right now? Is it starting to fail?

Zbmonster

Reaction score
The tranny in the truck is currently inop. Place the truck into drive and nothing happens. Is there a good source for the hard parts that should be upgraded? Like switching out the gears to steel carriers?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a thread for @XOLATEM to wax
I think this time I might wane instead of wax...

I appreciate the boost...but I am not in a waxing frame of mind right now...too tired from a long day...

And...a lot of good advice and opinions have been offered already from good, exceptionally smart guys here from what I can see...

@trackspeeder ...for a guy that is self-taught on newer transmissions...I gotta say...you got it going on...you apparently have a good grasp of the powerflow and hydraulics...more so than a few 'professionals' that I have known over the years...

@david85 ...that was an excellent dissertation on the whys and why-nots of the E4OD platform...I am impressed and I would want you in my corner if I could not do it myself...

@94turbocrewcab-lb ...good observation and the truth always is hard to take...at first...but I would rather have the difficult facts than be told what I want to hear...

@Sparks-IDI ...having first-hand experience and sharing it is what this group is all about...and is always appreciated...

@Jesus Freak ...well...what can I say..? You have a way of stirring things up....in a good way...where would we all be without you...??

@Zbmonster...if I had my shop set up I would offer to build your unit and show you all that I would recommend...but...we are probably months away from being able to do that...

Incidentally...did you know that the people that live just east of you would give their left ***** to be a part of your state instead of theirs..? Just ask them...

Last edited:

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of upgrading the parts to steel or heavier duty parts than what might be in my transmission now. I suppose I get a bit confused looking at all of those parts and I like the idea of following the step by step
Video. I’m going to be rebuilding my own transmission sooner than later but again we start talking about adding a few clutches here or swapping out a planetary gear to a 6 vs 4 and I start feeling confused by it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online