The harmonic anvil? Boat anchor? Keel? What is this?

RetiringColt

Reaction score
I believe its for harmonics. to change the noise inside the cab. that junk is a result from a study panel. ford still puts similar wonky stuff on their trucks. the newer ones typically have a dumbbell looking thing on the exhaust. I can only imagine how much money is spent trying to "engineer" a certain noise. like the fake engine sounds from an electric car.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe its for harmonics. to change the noise inside the cab. that junk is a result from a study panel. ford still puts similar wonky stuff on their trucks. the newer ones typically have a dumbbell looking thing on the exhaust. I can only imagine how much money is spent trying to "engineer" a certain noise. like the fake engine sounds from an electric car.

I appreciate the insight. I figured it was something like that. I just wanted to make sure before I threw it in the scrap pile.
Weight reduction! Haha

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this is for harmonics. It”s there for a purpose. Maybe to take a drone, or hum from the transmission out of the frame. My 03 Excursion has something similar. As Calvin said when we had this question and similar one come up: “It’s there for a reason, if it didn’t have a purpose the engineers could prove, the bean counters wouldn’t allow it.”

There are little things like this in all vehicles. My 11 F-150 has a little rubber “thingy” on one of the caliper bolts on the rear brakes....

You must be registered for see images attach

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see it mentioned, and unlikely to be a real problem, but it is possible that a vibration can feed back into itself and increase if the resonance frequency is wrong (see tahoma bridge collapse video). The extra block likely adds weight to dampen the system. I'm doing some hand waving here as it's been a long time since I had physics. Said all that to say that it is possible that that flux capacitor thingy is there to prevent something from shaking apart or wearing prematurely, and you could see problems other than noise.

Having said all that, I'd probably take my chances and chuck it.

Big Daddy John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see it mentioned, and unlikely to be a real problem, but it is possible that a vibration can feed back into itself and increase if the resonance frequency is wrong (see tahoma bridge collapse video). The extra block likely adds weight to dampen the system. I'm doing some hand waving here as it's been a long time since I had physics. Said all that to say that it is possible that that flux capacitor thingy is there to prevent something from shaking apart or wearing prematurely, and you could see problems other than noise.

Having said all that, I'd probably take my chances and chuck it.
Damn, that’s pretty good info!!!

Joseph Bruce

Reaction score
Yes, harmonic damper. There is one about 1.5” x 1.5” x 1” on one of (and only one of) the lower rear suspension arms on my wife’s Jeep. Had to look it up. New replacement cost was over $250 at the time. Probably to pay for the engineering team that decided you only needed one.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Harmonic dampener. With your truck running down the freeway at speed, with all the little vibrations of the road, driveshaft, 8 cylinders firing and doing the diesel thing and super heavy duty springs, not much can flex or absorb vibrations.

Sky scrapers use it to protect against earthquakes

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from cabin noise, it's probably also there to help the drivetrain as well. You wouldn't want to take the harmonic balancer off the crankshaft and replace it with a solid chunk of metal, would you?

Would be nice of it was a flux capacitor, though...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say toss it, if it’s for harmonics then it was likely intended to cover up rough idling when in gear because of the tremendous amount of flexring failures the 6.9 pumps (db2829s) with their plastic retainers. Nothing mechanically changed in these engines other than a larger displacement and you don’t see the harmonic dampener on the 7.3s. What did change was the injection pump.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say toss it, if it’s for harmonics then it was likely intended to cover up rough idling when in gear because of the tremendous amount of flexring failures the 6.9 pumps (db2829s) with their plastic retainers. Nothing mechanically changed in these engines other than a larger displacement and you don’t see the harmonic dampener on the 7.3s. What did change was the injection pump.
My 89 7.3 with C6, has one.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to say. Mine has one.