Finding the correct Starter relay for 86 IDI 6.9

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you would think this would be a simple item to buy through O`Really`s. Tell the guy "86 F-250 6.9 IDI Diesel Starter Relay".
They had one in stock. Great! $19.27 with Tax.
Today Disconnect the 2 Batteries, Wires to the Relay, remove it.
Take new one out of box...had a different mount bracket and the connections are different. MasterPro 2SS4

Old one has a "L" Bracket mounted to it and it bolts to the inside Fender Wall. One large + Stud points to the Battery, the other towards the Fire Wall and little ones towards Engine.
No way this new one will mount and not have to tweak the wires around to work.

Go out to the shop and look in my metal Cabinet thinking I had an old one. Nope, only a GP relay and a new one in the box.
Then it hit me, the DA sold me a GP Relay. I was zeroed in on why it didn`t fit right, didn`t think to look right below it and look at the GP Relay in the tangled mess of wires.

Go on the Computer and bring up O`Really` to search for the right relay, and one does not come up, they all seem to be like a GP one.
Do a Google search for my truck etc... and not one with the "L" Bracket shows. Was it discontinued?
So finally just search Ford relay and eventually find on Summit Racing one for a Mustang etc.... and eventually shows it is also for a 6.9.

Standard Motor Products SS588T $14.99, and ordered 2. TAX $2.98 and $11.99 ship. Total $44.95
Summit part# SMP SS588T

With the Standard Motor Products part# search Google and Amazon and E-bay sell them in the $30 range Plus TX and Shipping.

Summit is 60 miles north in Reno, next time Iam up there grab a couple more just in case. It`s not one of those things we replace often, but dang what a PITR :moon: trying to locate one.

Think this is the first time in 10 years I have had to replace this thing.

A couple days back, I finally started the engine to move it from in front of the garage after replacing the Rear Main, Clutch and getting it buttoned back up. Got the Clutch Bled using type4 Clutch Line upgrade. Was excited it finally worked. Took her for a quick run down to the corner, 2 10th mile and came back and parked beside the garage. Next morning...click click. Jumped the big studs and she fired right off.
Strange just over night it pooped out like it did.

Both Batteries are just over 13.xxV ea.

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What my 85 6.9 RV had.

Starter relay:
You must be registered for see images attach

Glow plug relay:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I don't see why the glow plug relay wouldn't work. It's basically the same thing. It just has an extra small stud you don't use. One of the smaller activates the relay and the other I think is for WTS light? I had to make it manual push button when the controller died and i ran a + wire to one of the smaller studs via momentary switch.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The purple wire is what I unhooked and fed + via momentary to the stud on the GP relay to activate it.

The schematic:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wired my GR Relay the same way.
Been that way for a few years, works perfect.
I read there is a difference inside the relays between the two.

Forget what it is.

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I wired my GR Relay the same way.
Been that way for a few years, works perfect.
I read there is a difference inside the relays between the two.

Forget what is is.

Goat

Here's one listed as starter relay for $20. claims it doesn't fit my 89 van.

$36 one that looks the same, except for the color, says it fits.
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ld-solenoid-switch-f492g/184961_0_0?rrec=true

Oh and here they are on RockAuto:

Claims it doesn't fit idis but it's what rockauto sells. O'Reilly sucks for parts compatibly listings at times.

O'Reilly lists this as fitting F-Series IDI but not E-series despite it using the same part. only 1yr warranty.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...a/5348/automotive-truck-1986-ford-f-350?pos=0

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly when they switched to that design but the flat mount is the newer style. It will bolt rite in place of the old style. If you want to stick with the old style just buy it for a 70's ford pickup.

The BWD select looks like p/n s58. I know O'Reilly still stocked them a couple years ago, that's what I run for a GP relay and starter relay on all of my 12v farm equipment.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm… Duchess also has the same style solenoid as Cubey’s van, like the glow plug relay… but I think your truck also is an 86 F250? I wonder why it has a different style solenoid then…

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hmm… Duchess also has the same style solenoid as Cubey’s van, like the glow plug relay… but I think your truck also is an 86 F250? I wonder why it has a different style solenoid then…

The one on my 87 F250 NA was that style too. It had the 7.3 style glow plug controller by CDR so I know that's the starter one. Plus I replaced the GP one that bolts on the 7.3 controller.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Without looking, I think that I have that same style on my 1985 too. I bought it with that relay on it in 2013. It still works so I'm not too worried about it.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek Bieri (Vicegrip Garage, YouTube) calls these solenoids the steal me option. They've been on Ford vehicles and tractors for years. Either one should work fine. The ign. terminal triggers the heavier terminals to close.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a Thread explaining the difference.

Starter/Glow Plug Relay

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brown dropped off my 2 Relays from Summit last night, and today got it mounted. The old girl came to life.

The old one was mounted on a "L" Bracket like this Summit picture.

The Relay bracket has been scaled down, (maybe cutting costs) to this type mount bracket where the relay hangs off it.

Bolts to the same hole`s on the fender.
I like this type as the big contacts for the + connections are to the sides.
Next time Iam at PNP, see if I can find a good Spark Plug Boot to slip over the Positive cable connection. Strange there isn`t cover over the Relay.
The GP Relay just below it had a small little plastic cap to protect the 2 big contacts.
HMMM wonder what happened to it, use to be on there.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online