What is this electrical thingy on top of the engine?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting the engine for my Brown Crewcab back together, hooking up the electrical stuff on top, and noticed a little lump on the front end of the passenger side harness. This is what it looks like:
You must be registered for see images attach

This shows it plugged back in, near the #1 injector.

Does anyone recognize it?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Brown truck the water in fuel sensor wire is hanging loose. I'll try tracing it back through the loom, see if it goes there. I should have said originally, it has four terminals, so it could be a relay.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this question when I found mine partially melted. Based on what I’ve read, it reads the weak signal from the sensor on the filter and sends 12v to the light in the dash. They are like $60-100 to replace, but I was able to open mine up and replace the individual electrical component that had shorted out. Here’s what they look like on the inside if you’re curious:

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work. The MPS-A63 is an inexpensive Darlington transistor (provides gain in the 5K to 10K range, to buffer the tiny leakage current from the probe touching any contaminants & water in the fuel). It costs about 50 cents :)

I once fixed a $50 fuel pump relay by taking the case off and replacing a 10 cent diode too.