She swallowed a glow plug

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I'm trying to follow you guys, nearly got it figured out but not quite.

@1mouse3 & @IDIBRONCO you saying the AC Delco 60G & the Bosch 80034 are both for the GM 6.2 & 6.5 engines, correct? And both, are they self limiting plugs or not?

And they both have little bit narrower blades than the regular 6.9 bladed plugs? (Not recall the 6.9 plug number right now. I been running ZD9 in my 7.3......I have never had nor run a 6.9 before)

And @1mouse3 if i understand you turned some off the hex of 60G plug to get it to seat better/deeper? And maybe the Bosch 80034 might seat better than the 60G plug???

Other day I picked up set of AC Delco 60G plugs from ORiley. They are infact shorter than the ZD9 plugs, or at least shorter from the hex down to the tip. The actual tip is nearly same length, yet doesn't look to extend as deep into the head as the ZD9.

I feel I can run blade glow plugs on my 7.3 no trouble if they are self limiter plugs. I can either change bullet connectors over to blade connectors or make some short adaptors from bullet to blade.....no problem.

And Edit: When I Ohmn my plugs to check them what should be the good plug/ohm reading?

Just trying to get this all figured out. Thanks .

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to follow you guys, nearly got it figured out but not quite.

@1mouse3 & @IDIBRONCO you saying the AC Delco 60G & the Bosch 80034 are both for the GM 6.2 & 6.5 engines, correct? And both, are they self limiting plugs or not?

And they both have little bit narrower blades than the regular 6.9 bladed plugs? (Not recall the 6.9 plug number right now. I been running ZD9 in my 7.3......I have never had nor run a 6.9 before)

And @1mouse3 if i understand you turned some off the hex of 60G plug to get it to seat better/deeper? And maybe the Bosch 80034 might seat better than the 60G plug???

Other day I picked up set of AC Delco 60G plugs from ORiley. They are infact shorter than the ZD9 plugs, or at least shorter from the hex down to the tip. The actual tip is nearly same length, yet doesn't look to extend as deep into the head as the ZD9.

I feel I can run blade glow plugs on my 7.3 no trouble if they are self limiter plugs. I can either change bullet connectors over to blade connectors or make some short adaptors from bullet to blade.....no problem.

And Edit: When I Ohmn my plugs to check them what should be the good plug reading?

Just trying to get this all figured out. Thanks .

I know the 60g is and would assume the same for the bosch being self limiting, since are both for the 6.2/6.5. Yes some had to be "turned" on the 60g nut to get it seated, but looks like the bosch come pre turned. I have tested my 60g to work for 30 sec + before install for function, part new and rest used on the 6.9 set.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And both, are they self limiting plugs or not?
Yes they both are.
And they both have little bit narrower blades than the regular 6.9 bladed plugs?
Yes they do because the 6.2/6.5s use a narrower wire end to slip over them.
(Not recall the 6.9 plug number right now.
ZD1A is the Motorcraft number.
You can, but Bosch sells some that have a bullet connector. I can't remember the number right now. I think it was Kansas IDI who posted the number for the bullet connector Boschs.
Just remember, though, that the stock glow plug controllers won't work with self limiting plugs. The 6.9 style might, but I don't know since I convert those all to manual control before they burn out my glow plugs.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they both are.

Yes they do because the 6.2/6.5s use a narrower wire end to slip over them.

ZD1A is the Motorcraft number.

You can, but Bosch sells some that have a bullet connector. I can't remember the number right now. I think it was Kansas IDI who posted the number for the bullet connector Boschs.
Just remember, though, that the stock glow plug controllers won't work with self limiting plugs. The 6.9 style might, but I don't know since I convert those all to manual control before they burn out my glow plugs.
The only Bosch number I know, is 80034, which have blade connectors. I don’t recall a bullet connector Bosch, that being said, my memory fails me at times…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 7.3 style controllers use resistance to determine glow time. The self limiting ones don't give enough resistance so the glow time is too short. That's from what I remember seeing here. I do know that the self limiting ones need a longer glow time that the Motorcraft ones do.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only Bosch number I know, is 80034, which have blade connectors. I don’t recall a bullet connector Bosch, that being said, my memory fails me at times…

Goat
Well I was wrong on who posted the numbers.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Appears to be a bullet style glow plug, seems to be the right length. For VW golfs. I don’t know it they are self limiting though… but… a friend of mine has a couple diesel Golfs, and, they start, every time.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol I asked him after I typed that, had same thought. He said, he has never replaced glow plugs, and thus has no spares. He has put over 100,000 miles on one.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
So I'm still trying to get this sorted out. Like I say I never really run or hardly been around & working on a 6.9 other than driving one a few trips.

My 7.3 I've always run Brea/ ZD9 plugs. Interested now in the GM self regulated plugs.

Also like I say I've had my glowplugs set up on a grounded pushbutton. This is set up different than someone posted other day...... a printout that I printed off for to keep. I think it originally was over on "DIESEL HUB"

My set-up is that I cut the black ground controller wire & ran thru push button, push button 8-10-12 sec, crank on it, if no start then push button again.

I mostly been having trouble finding good quality ZD9 etc,

And I didn't know that 6.9 & 7.3 controllers set-up were different other than 7.3 bullet vs 6.9 blade connectors.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online