She swallowed a glow plug

94NAIDI

Reaction score
today's glow plugs have longer tips
If this is true. Your idea of a spacer pulling the plug further out of the cylinder is a great one. I wander if this would work anyway. Even if the plugs aren’t longer. Pulling it further out of the combustion should help protect it. And I would assume it would still perform its intended function of heating up the cylinder for starting. I definitely think it’s worth a try.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What are the Bosch 80034 self limiting glow plugs supposed to be for/fit and are there any modifications to use them on these 7.3s? Pics I found on the internet looks like GPs with blade connector like for a 6.9.
They are for a GM 6.2/6.5. If you look closely, and know what to look for, you can see that the spade is narrower across than 6.9 glow plugs. From what I remember, they will work just fine as they are. They do heat up slower, so you have to glow them for longer. There's a number of Bosch glow plugs with a bullet tip like a 7.3 uses, but I don't recall what it is right now.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are for a GM 6.2/6.5. If you look closely, and know what to look for, you can see that the spade is narrower across than 6.9 glow plugs. From what I remember, they will work just fine as they are. They do heat up slower, so you have to glow them for longer. There's a number of Bosch glow plugs with a bullet tip like a 7.3 uses, but I don't recall what it is right now.
I’m thinkin, if I ever get another IDI powered truck (which I want to) then I might give those Bosch plugs a chance… But if they burn up in less than a month, then, will delete…

I do like these engines. Sure, probably not the greatest thing out there, but they suit me just fine. Maybe, try and find a really nice truck with an IDI to replace my Dodge… :dunno

Was also lookin at 7.3 Powerstrokes, so ‘92-‘03 crew cab 4WD F350s, with lower miles, <150,000. Would cost an arm and a leg, but can probably get decent money out of my Dodge if I were to sell it…

Probably safe to say that my Dodge is gonna get replaced by a Ford at some point… I do believe that they are a superior truck… although Cummins motors are pretty top notch, the Dodge trucks themselves are not of the best quality… and my Dodge isn’t even a Cummins… but that big V10 mill is smooth runnin…

I guess that makes me a Ford guy now…

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sure, probably not the greatest thing out there,
That depends on what you mean by "best". I think they're great, but I'm not trying to set any land speed records, win any races, or have big power numbers to brag about how good my truck is. Back in August, the last time I was in Herington, my brother and a high school friend of mine were talking about their Dodges. They both have black 2018+ Dodge half tons. I heard "looks, interior, and stereo" for reasons why they thought they had to have a Dodge. I heard nothing about reliability or longevity. We were outside The Spot and I just kept looking from theirs to my old ugly looking Ford which has been on the road for more than twice both of theirs put together. All I could think was "yep. Those will be gone in a few years and newer ones will take their places. Meanwhile, I'll still be driving my ugly old Ford!"
Maybe, try and find a really nice truck with an IDI to replace my Dodge… :dunno
Great move!
Probably safe to say that my Dodge is gonna get replaced by a Ford at some point…
Once again, BRAVO!
I do believe that they are a superior truck…
Naturally!
although Cummins motors are pretty top notch,
I'm no Cummins fanboy, but they are good engines. I prefer underdogs myself, hence IDIs.
I guess that makes me a Ford guy now…
Welcome to the cool kid's club!

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no Cummins fanboy, but they are good engines. I prefer underdogs myself, hence IDIs.
I grew up around Dodges, mostly Cummins, and a few Hemis. Before this Ford of mine, I knew nothing different. But, I like the IDIs. Simple, reliable, not near as hard to find parts for, comparable fuel mileage, and IMO the trucks they are in are just better.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have burned through every brand of glow plug out there, none seem to be any better than the others. I just replaced the AC Delco's in my '85 last weekend, they were less than a year old. At least none of them swelled or broke off.

That said, there is a theory that originated in the deep, dark, moist fever swamps of the internet that postulates that today's glow plugs have longer tips on them in order to simplify the manufacturing process and get more usability across multiple engine platforms for the same part number / tooling. Because of this, the tip is now centered under the injector nozzle and gets a more direct fuel spray, causing very high burn temps about the plug tip, and eroding / damaging the plug much faster.

If any one has an OE plug from the 1980's rolling around in the bottom of a cabinet / toolbox to measure against whatever your local parts house is stocking, we could test this out. Either way, the theory makes sense to me and I wonder if a simple fix would be to put a small spacer under the glow plug head that pulls the tip back, approximately a 1/4" to 1/2".

Maybe I need to fire the lathe up and get to work....

You must be registered for see images attach
I have a box of glowplugs, always save the non burned out ones. Should have several that were originally installed in these engines to compare to new ones.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have been seeing a burnt out 7.3 plug here or there, all plugs that are just a couple years old zd9s. Used to never see that. As far as the 6.9 spade plugs, the only plug that i trust is the bosch 80034. Still have yet to see one burnt out.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
I finally returned from Texas. My truck barely started at the airport. Turned over for a really long time, then finally fired. When I got home, I did the glow plug test using a test light. All passed. So I just ignored it. Following morning it was 27 degrees here. Tried to start my truck. No joy. She would not start. Gave up. Plugged it in for the day. Next morning, it fired right up plugged in. That tells me I have a glow plug issue still. Keep in mind, right before my trip, I had to replace one plug. And all the others are only a few months old. Brand new glow plug controller. This truck is really testing my patience. I love 7.3 IDI but man am I close to giving up and buying a different truck. Anyone got any ideas to help save this truck?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that your controller is brand new, but you need to make sure that you're actually getting power to the glow plugs. Sometimes strange things happen and everything seems to be working, but it's not.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
I will test that tomorrow. Easy enough to confirm power to the glow plugs. Everything else seems to jive. Wait to Start light stays on for normal amount of time. Battery voltage gauge reads low during glow plug cycle time and then jumps up. So I’m pretty sure they are getting voltage to them. But I can certainly check that to confirm.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
The truck was starting perfectly after I put the engine back in and with the new glow plugs and controller. But now it’s getting hard to start again. Just like before when the glow plugs burnt out.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have burned through every brand of glow plug out there, none seem to be any better than the others. I just replaced the AC Delco's in my '85 last weekend, they were less than a year old. At least none of them swelled or broke off.

That said, there is a theory that originated in the deep, dark, moist fever swamps of the internet that postulates that today's glow plugs have longer tips on them in order to simplify the manufacturing process and get more usability across multiple engine platforms for the same part number / tooling. Because of this, the tip is now centered under the injector nozzle and gets a more direct fuel spray, causing very high burn temps about the plug tip, and eroding / damaging the plug much faster.

If any one has an OE plug from the 1980's rolling around in the bottom of a cabinet / toolbox to measure against whatever your local parts house is stocking, we could test this out. Either way, the theory makes sense to me and I wonder if a simple fix would be to put a small spacer under the glow plug head that pulls the tip back, approximately a 1/4" to 1/2".

Maybe I need to fire the lathe up and get to work....

The ac 60g plug I have are 1-7/64, for the tip on the glow plug.

You must be registered for see images

Im not sure on there being just fine, well for the ones Im using have different sized. The nut part would bottom on the head first, before the bottom seat mate up. I was getting carbon or soot up the threads, that make it hard to get them out. I pulled one for a random reasom and found that, so I ground them to fit since not sure if where to get stuck.

This is the cut one in the 6.9...

This is the 7/16in hole I sent 1/2in into the 7.3 head, to accept those plugs...

And this is the N.O.S ones...

And this is the plug.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Im not sure on there being just fine, well for the ones Im using have different sized. The nut part would bottom on the head first, before the bottom seat mate up. I was getting carbon or soot up the threads, that make it hard to get them out. I pulled one for a random reasom and found that, so I ground them to fit since not sure if where to get stuck.
You're using AC Delco glow plugs, but I was talking about Bosch. I don't remember anyone saying that they had to modify the Bosch plugs in any way.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're using AC Delco glow plugs, but I was talking about Bosch. I don't remember anyone saying that they had to modify the Bosch plugs in any way.

Your right that something is up with that one, the hex is made such that it should work.