Broken Glow plug tip solved

94NAIDI

Reaction score
This will most likely be a long post. I apologize for that in advance. However, I feel led to share my experience with the great people of this forum so it may help someone hearing about my successes and failures during this process. It all started as I was replacing the glow plugs in my wifes 1997 7.3 powerstroke. All was well until disaster struck. One glow plug tip separated and was stuck in the head. Here's all that came out.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had a previous similar experience with my 94 7.3 IDI which is in a different thread of mine. I ended up having to pull the motor and remove the head to get that one out. I did not want to do that all over again on this one. So I started researching options. I found this nifty tool that supposedly removes broken/stuck glow plug tips.
I also found a computer generated video on Youtube that showed how the tool worked. But no real-life videos of people actually using it and it actually working. That should have been a red flag, but $300 later, I owned one. Now, I do not intend for this post to bash this tool. I'm sure it does work in some circumstances, but it did not work for me. The drill bit did not drill the end of the tip as advertised. Also the magnet is too weak to actually remove the glow plug tip from the cylinder. User error? Maybe. But I would not recommend spending $300 on this tool based on my experience.

It became clear to me that pushing the tip into the cylinder and fishing it out through the injector cup hole was going to be my only possibility of getting it out without removing the head. I used a thin rod and pushed the tip into the cylinder. Then I tried to fish blindly through the injector hole using the magnet that came with the above tool kit. It quickly became clear to me that this was going to be a game of luck. And I am not that lucky.

I Started researching again and found a borescope on Amazon that would fit down the glow plug hole. Camera diameter is 5.5mm or .219 inches.

The camera as it came, would not quite slip through the hole. But if you unscrew the thread protector on the end, the camera just fits.

The above pictures shows the threads that would normally have a cap on them. Having this camera in the glow plug hole allowed me to clearly see as I attempted to fish the tip out of the cylinder. I wish I would have gotten pictures of the view. This camera lights up nicely and has a very clear picture. There is no way I would have ever gotten the tip out of the cylinder without this camera. And the best part is, it was $49 on Amazon. Best money I've ever spent. With this camera providing a clear view, I quickly learned that the magnet from the above tool kit did not have enough strength to pull the tip out of the cylinder. Without this camera, I could have fished forever and never would have known that it was not going to happen. This scope did also come with a magnet attachment that you can thread onto the end of the camera. This magnet is much stronger than the one in the previous tool kit. I attached the magnet to the camera and sent it down the injector hole. But the magnet blocks too much of your view and made it impossible to get the tip out. I took the magnet off the camera and put the scope back down the glow plug hole.
I'm limited too only 5 picture attachments in this post. See next post for continuation.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
With the camera once again providing a clear view of what was going on in the cylinder. I made me a better fishing tool. I used the magnet that came with the $49 Amazon scope and built the below tool.

It is just mechanics wire and the magnet attachment from the scope put together tightly so the magnet would not come off. With this tool down the injector hole and the scope providing a good view down the glow plug hole, I was able to easily catch the glow plug tip and bring it up to the injector hole. But I was still not successful at easing it out through the hole. I made roughly 20 attempts and each time, the glow plug tip would drop off as I tried to ease it through the injector hole. Just not strong enough magnet or not proper alignment I guess. But I was able to get the tip to the hole pretty easily. Then my son came up with a great idea to use compressed air to help the tip through the hole. I caught the end of the glow plug tip with the magnet. Scope still in glow plug hole for ease of seeing. Catching it at the end is critical so it will be vertical to come through the hole. I brought it up just to the hole but not pulling through and held it there. Then my son removed the camera from the glow plug hole and blew compressed air through the glow plug hole into the cylinder. Once he had the cylinder pressurized and I could feel air escaping through the injector hole, I slowly brought the magnet through the injector hole. The magnet detached from the glow plug tip of course as it had done all previous attempts. But as soon as the magnet was clear from the hole, the compressed air pushed the glow plug tip out the rest of the way. It happened so quickly and effortlessly I was shocked. After 2 weeks and several hundred dollars later, the glow plug tip was out.

Here is what I learned through this process. Don't buy the expensive tool. Buy the borescope mentioned above from Amazon. Make the fishing tool using the magnet that comes with the borescope. Then use compressed air to help pull glow plug tip through injector hole. This method worked the very first attempt. If I would have had this scope and this homemade tool 2 weeks ago. I would have gotten the tip out that very day and would have saved myself a bunch of money and time.

Hopefully documenting my trial and errors will help save someone else a bunch of time and money as well. With patience and $49, you can get a stuck glow plug tip out of a 7.3 power stroke.

Last edited:

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounded like a nightmare. You sir, are persistent. Thank you for that tutorial. I have an older version of that brand of borescope. I got this one in the photo for Christmas and it articulates, makes it much easier to aim where you need to see.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
You sir, are persistent.
lol. It was a test of my patience. But it beat the alternative of pulling the motor. I wasn’t working on it the whole time of course. There was delivery wait periods in there for the tool kit and borescope. But I did spend a couple hours on it each day for three days. I would joke with my friends and family that I was going fishing every time I went out to work on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.