Glow plugs

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why I deleted mine. You probably won’t like this, but Cummins makes a plug that goes right in place of our glow plugs. ~$9 a piece, but have o rings included and 8 are cheaper than a set of plugs.

Keep in mind this will lower the compression ratio, from the stock 21.5, to about 20.7, same as an A model 6.9. I have been around one A model that was in rough shape and it started just fine. After a certain point, compression can make starting harder. Takes more effort to spin it over. Old Cat engines are IDI, have like 18:1 compression, and start really good.

I’ll post pics of the plugs in a minute. I’m planning to add a grid heater or metered ether injection system.
I run almost 100% WMO, so I just give it a shot of ether on the air filter. I had a 59 D6 cat (cable dozer, 11' wide blade) it was a addict for ether. I'd be curious to see your thingamajig.

Edit: I didn't realize that the 6.9 was in model A's, Henry sure was ahead of his time. I'd take a diesel model A.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures. How dare I put genuine Cummins parts on a Ford/International engine

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2365.jpeg
    IMG_2365.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 9

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In my opinion, all glow plugs suck,
I really haven't had much in the way of glow plug issues. I'm running ZD1As in my Blue Truck and I haven't had to replace one since I overhauled the engine in 2018. Since it's getting cooler, I supposed that I should check them before winter. I feel that, since I gave a manual control on the glow plugs, that really extends the life of them. Unless it's pretty cold outside, and the engine has time to cool off, then it's a once a day use of the glow plugs. I have one of Wes's manual glow plug set ups for the Ex Wife so I'll run Berus in that too, unless there turns out to be an issue for some reason. Then I'll try switching over to the Boschs that Black Dog recommends. The only reason that I won't switch right away is that I HATE the thought of cutting up my new glow plug wires to put spade connectors on them. Now if I start having glow plug issues with the Blue Truck, then that will be easy to switch over since it already has spade connectors.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM I would reconsider mounting one on the dash. When I was doing glow plug testing I've had various plugs spit red hot metal at me. Check the thread below for info.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would reconsider mounting one on the dash.
Duly noted...and I appreciate very much your trying to look out for me...thank you very much...

It was probably a dumb idea anyway....

Your heads up got me to read your thread on testing GP's...very informative...and educational....

You guys are a good bunch of gearheads...it was fortunate for me to decide to join up...thanks again, guys...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duly noted...and I appreciate very much your trying to look out for me...thank you very much...

It was probably a dumb idea anyway....

Your heads up got me to read your thread on testing GP's...very informative...and educational....

You guys are a good bunch of gearheads...it was fortunate for me to decide to join up...thanks again, guys...
......only you can prevent truck cab fires......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online