Strange finds in valve cover and glow plug hole

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
How does the corresponding cam lobe look? Any photos of it?
Pretty grooved now that I can see it from the other hole. I have the camshaft from the 6.9 but i havent looked at it yet and I have to be out of this garage asap. :/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231220_153223_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231220_153223_Gallery.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 10

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Guess you get to push the truck out, that cam is hosed

Damn. Well that figures. What a saga lmao
On the plus side, it's a good candidate for a Typ4 cam core now.
Do i have to pull the motor or can I swap the camshafts in the truck if I pull the condenser, radiator, etc
I think that you can pull the cam by just removing the radiator. I think the condensor can stay, but don't quote me on that.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've always been curious how regrinding a cam works, like you're taking material off, right? How do you make the cam profile taller?

As for the condenser, should be able to flip it out of the way without disconnecting it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the lift is increased my guess would be that material is removed from the opposite side of the lobe to allow the lifter to drop a bit lower, so from the bottom the lift would be grater.

James

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Sounds like I can definitely just do this in the truck and the time is now while the valley is still open and theres no coolant anywhere.

If this other camshaft is good and I go about swapping it in, what other things should I be on the lookout for while Im in there? I have the manual and will study it before moving forward for take down and reassembly, but do yall have thoughts or tips? Special tools I should have or need to improvise? Should I assume the camshaft bushings are trashed too?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that is what was done, I also assume they do some sort of heat treatment to them to re-harden the surface on them.

Black dawg

Reaction score
All of the re ground cams i have seen, and i am speaking of flat tappet cams, they did remove material from the base circle of the cam. All were stock style cams though. Even had one that was ground with really low lift, during the time lifters were junk and would wipe out cam lobes..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.