Strange finds in valve cover and glow plug hole

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would rebuild if I could but I have like $450 to my name right now so a full rebuild just isn't an option.

Also it sounds like our other truck is going down too as we speak. Im definitely gonna get that engine this weekend.

You wouldn't go ahead and do both head gaskets? The other side isnt leaking from anything anywhere, I guess. lll pull that cover and do a more thorough inspection of the valves and rockers over there too, though.
I totally get it. Do what you can, when you can. Here a little, there a little.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're on a budget, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I tell my wife all the time, "does it crank up? Does it run? Will it stop? Everything else is details" of course, we don't drive crap, but I fix everything when I can......... and sometimes, I can't. But it just has to make it past the big 3......#1 will it crank? #2 will it run? #3 does it stop?

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
I feel you, and thats probably all I can give it. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something else that absolutely should have been done in the head while its off.

Alright, then. I guess that's the plan. Thanks yall, Ill get things together.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
lso, I can get a 7.3 from the junk yard with a complete top end - both heads, an IP, lines, etc, for like $200. Would you think I could salvage some valves from there if theyre in good shape, or is there a reason I should go with brand new ones? I know I need to at least replace the worn rocker pair as well.
What's wrong with the engine? If it's in decent shape, why not drop it in and run it?
I highly recommend having an extra engine......or 6.....they don't make these anymore and if you can get one for $200 with an extra IP ......DO IT (if you can)
I agree with this completely.

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Its missing almost everything on the front of the block. No pumps, pulleys, nothing as far as I can remember. But has everything else on the top side as well as its oil cooler. Supposedly ran when the truck was brought there, but smoked. I dont know exactly how long its been there, but the whole front clip of the truck is gone and its just chillin under its hood out there. Im kicking myself for not having bought it a while back, just for what it does have left.
What's wrong with the engine? If it's in decent shape, why not drop it in and run it?

I agree with this completely.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its missing almost everything on the front of the block. No pumps, pulleys, nothing as far as I can remember. But has everything else on the top side as well as its oil cooler. Supposedly ran when the truck was brought there, but smoked. I dont know exactly how long its been there, but the whole front clip of the truck is gone and its just chillin under its hood out there. Im kicking myself for not having bought it a while back, just for what it does have left.
Swapping the front belt drive stuff from your old engine wouldn’t be hard, maybe take the injectors from your old engine and see if that fixes the smoking issue. Could be the pump too, maybe swap that too…

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Swapping the front belt drive stuff from your old engine wouldn’t be hard, maybe take the injectors from your old engine and see if that fixes the smoking issue. Could be the pump too, maybe swap that too…
Very true. Im gonna pop open the valve covers while Im there and see whats going on, take a deeper look at it. Who knows, yeah. Might make sense to swap over. I got my current injectors from Russ like 10k ago, would definitely be moving em over if I switched LOL

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Just a heads up, if youre tight on the budget, you can get a good bit of $$ for the IP core and injectors on that other engine if you dont need them. Enough to cover the cost of buying that whole engine for 200$.

Black dawg

Reaction score

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Not sure if he is needing this stuff, emailed him a couple times a few months back, as I have probably 20 ip cores that I would like to get rid of. Never got any response.
He's easier to get ahold of if you call or text him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online