Self regulating glow plugs

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Black dawg

Reaction score
Yes they are.

Ok I found a set on Ebay for $84.19 shipped and ordered them. Black Dawg, don't I remember you saying that you have to glow these for longer than 8 seconds because they don't heat up as quickly?
They are slower to heat, but I have used them on 6.9 trucks with the old style controller and they start fine. Depends a lot on overall engine/fuel system health.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jammed those expensive ZD28s into my daughter's '83 and it started right up. The PO had used Autolite plugs. One had 33 Ohms resistance, five had swelled and burst open, two broke off in the hole. The old spade-style connectors are holding up great, unlike the bullet connectors on most of my fleet. Her truck is set up with manual control for the GPs, so it's a definite candidate for the self regulating plugs.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another GP thread talking about the Bosch 80024 and 80034

24 are Spades and 34 are Bullet connectors.

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they are.

Ok I found a set on Ebay for $84.19 shipped and ordered them. Black Dawg, don't I remember you saying that you have to glow these for longer than 8 seconds because they don't heat up as quickly?
At that price should we be concerned that they're china junk? Is there a way to authenticate the Bosch? You might be the guinea pig again like with the shifter cupholder.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
The bullet connectors are a pain, the old originals are falling apart and I can't find replacements in the right size for the right size wire. I can find spade connectors, and self-regulating glow plugs sound a lot more forgiving.
Bullet connectors........ Years ago on my 7.3 some of my connectors were falling apart leaving exposed wires/connectors. I took few yellow bullet wire connectors & after I stretched them a bit IIRC I then crimped them in place of the old ones. Worked for years.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bullet connectors........ Years ago on my 7.3 some of my connectors were falling apart leaving exposed wires/connectors. I took few yellow bullet wire connectors & after I stretched them a bit IIRC I then crimped them in place of the old ones. Worked for years.
I believe those were the same connectors I started with, I just soldered them inside of crimping.

I don't think I stretched them beforehand. If I remember correctly I just forced them to stretch when I plugged them onto the glow plug.

James

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try some more stores, I guess. I've never found yellow bullet wire connectors where I usually shop, just red and blue. It'd be nice to find some yellows with built in shrink tubing.

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party, but i must ask, why go through the whole process of swapping everything
to run self regulating plugs instead of just getting a good new controller and not having to worry about
messing with a switch? Just curious about the thought process behind this,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online