Strange Cruise Control Issue

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1994 IDI has been having a weird issue lately. The truck did not originally have cruise control, but I swapped in a servo, horn pad, and disconnect switch and was off to the races. It worked great for a few years and then recently has been giving fits. The cruise will be working fine and then randomly drop out. There's no pattern to it or obvious cause like a bump or turning or anything else. It won't re-engage right away but after random amounts of time will work again. There's no pattern to that either. Here's what I've done:

-Clutch safety switch replaced, no change
-BOO switch replaced, no change
-Disconnect switch replaced, no change
-Horn pad/switches replaced, no change
-Cable lubricated, no change
-Servo Box replaced with JY part, no change

All of these except the horn pad switches passed the pinpoint test in the service manual multiple times. I didn't test the VSS as it calls for jacking up the rear end and running at 30mph, which kind of scared me a bit. Still, in the interest of ruling them out I replaced components one by one and tested.

The last thing I can see is the VSS. The speed displayed on the gauge is stable so I really don't think that's it but I'm about out of ideas. That said I did notice something really weird driving it this evening. When I pushed the "select" button on the gauge cluster to view the trip meter the cruise would drop out and not re-engage. I was able to try it three times total and it seemed to shut down the cruise every time, and then traffic got too thick to use the CC. I believe the speed signal is routed through the computer in the gauge cluster so maybe that computer is the problem? Has anyone else heard of anything like this? Thanks in advance for any advice. I loved the truck when I originally got it sans cruise, but definitely love it more with cruise.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue with my truck before I replaced the clockspring/turn signal switch behind the steering wheel. Mine is an '88 with vacuum cruise though.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check that out. I did replace the steering column bearings a couple years back as the bearings had dis integrated. Maybe the brushes are unhappy in their proper location after wearing incorrectly for so long.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy who has a yuppie jeep experience the clockspring mess up.
The issues it created were eppic.
Also sounds like a bad ground...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.