Self regulating glow plugs

gretatuneberg

Reaction score
I know autolite gets a bad rap sometimes but I have a manual push button system and have had great success with the autolite 1115 self regulating plugs... I had a toggle switch in there for a while and left it on by mistake on a 6 hour trip, only 3 of the plugs burned out, and even then none of the tips were broken off...just some swelling on one of them.

I find the push button system to very quickly burn out the other plugs I've tried (Bosch, ACDELCO)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know autolite gets a bad rap sometimes but I have a manual push button system and have had great success with the autolite 1115 self regulating plugs... I had a toggle switch in there for a while and left it on by mistake on a 6 hour trip, only 3 of the plugs burned out, and even then none of the tips were broken off...just some swelling on one of them.

I find the push button system to very quickly burn out the other plugs I've tried (Bosch, ACDELCO)
I’ve been running the autolite 1115s as well for a couple years with no issues. I bench tested each of them for one minute before installing. 10 seconds is enough to get just as hot as the Beru plugs would. Like others, I got tired of the premature failures I was seeing with the OEM plugs.

I don’t know if I can ever trick a controller to run them automatically, but I just got used to using a manual switch.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'd be nice if there was a simple controller that would screw in the coolant port like the 6.9 unit did, and then vary on-time based off coolant temp. It's just a "smart" switch for the relay, so it's not like it has to be super complicated or anything. 40°F coolant temp have it on for 15 seconds 200°F coolant temp have it on for none. Linear graph between the two points and you'd be set for a "controller".

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I do. The problem is trying to explain how long to hold on the plugs to someone who has no idea what a glow plug is, let alone the how's/why's of their operation.

Wait to start illuminated on the dash is pretty self explanatory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online