Strange finds in valve cover and glow plug hole

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Hey, all. Been kicking around here reading threads for about a year, finally registered several months ago. I need some help. Working on a 1990 F250 with a 7.3l and a Jasper reman e4od.

Me engine, transmission, or both have been running fairly rough lately. At idle and when driving, there always seems to be a low rumble and, at timea, a faint, hollow, metallic sound.

Anyway, yesterday I opened the valve covers to see what I could see since I had new gaskets for them anyway. On the passenger side, in a puddle of oil just below a pair of rockers, I found a pretty large shard of what looks like cast iron. It has a broadly round contour and is about 1/8" thick overall. I'll post a picture below. I have no idea where it came from. It doesnt seem to be part of any of the rockers and I cant see any damage to other parts on the face of it. Any ideas? It was going to rain and I didnt have time to pull everything apart so I put the cover back on.

This morning, I replaced all 8 of my glow plugs. Seven of them came out and went back in smoothly, nothing abnormal at all. Cylinder 7, though, was different. Plug came out fine, but the tip had a little band of metal wrapped loosely around it. It doesn't look like part of the plug, but I dont know what it could be.

The engine is still running, and the glow plug replacement seemed to improve its condition today. I've driven it a couple hundred miles now since I found the shard under the valve cover and, short of the low vibration, its driving fine. Accelerates fairly responsively but definitely lugs uphill. It's always done that a bit though, and it isn't very smoky about it.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20231122_112810.jpg
    20231122_112810.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231122_112802.jpg
    20231122_112802.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231120_152554.jpg
    20231120_152554.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20231120_152544.jpg
    20231120_152544.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 59

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The piece around the glow plug kinda looks like part of the retainer spring clip from a sparkplug wire. How the hell it got on the business end of a glow plug I have no idea.

The cast piece I'm really not sure.

James

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the cast piece either. The part on the GP tip kind of looks like a male spade connector to me - maybe someone was doing some crimping repair and it fell into the bore somehow.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, all. Been kicking around here reading threads for about a year, finally registered several months ago. I need some help. Working on a 1990 F250 with a 7.3l and a Jasper reman e4od.

Me engine, transmission, or both have been running fairly rough lately. At idle and when driving, there always seems to be a low rumble and, at timea, a faint, hollow, metallic sound.

Anyway, yesterday I opened the valve covers to see what I could see since I had new gaskets for them anyway. On the passenger side, in a puddle of oil just below a pair of rockers, I found a pretty large shard of what looks like cast iron. It has a broadly round contour and is about 1/8" thick overall. I'll post a picture below. I have no idea where it came from. It doesnt seem to be part of any of the rockers and I cant see any damage to other parts on the face of it. Any ideas? It was going to rain and I didnt have time to pull everything apart so I put the cover back on.

This morning, I replaced all 8 of my glow plugs. Seven of them came out and went back in smoothly, nothing abnormal at all. Cylinder 7, though, was different. Plug came out fine, but the tip had a little band of metal wrapped loosely around it. It doesn't look like part of the plug, but I dont know what it could be.

The engine is still running, and the glow plug replacement seemed to improve its condition today. I've driven it a couple hundred miles now since I found the shard under the valve cover and, short of the low vibration, its driving fine. Accelerates fairly responsively but definitely lugs uphill. It's always done that a bit though, and it isn't very smoky about it.

Any thoughts?
I would inspect every square inch under that valve cover, rocker arms, etc. It came from in that area so concentrate in that area with a bright light and a mirror. Don't be in a hurry. And that piece around the glow plug may have been a glow plug connector that came off of the top of the glow plug, fell in the hole and was forced on the element upon refitting.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's tough to call. The glow plugs thing could have been dropped in the intake. Neither item looks familiar.

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, yall. The glow plug part seems to make sense. Glad it didnt come unwrapped in there.

I guess Im going to open the valve cover back up and do a more thorough inspection. That shard would had to have come from something on the top side of the valvetrain, right? Nothing could have made it up there from anywhere else in the engine?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by your palm lines...you will have a long life full of money and love to ponder all of life's mysteries...and this mystery in particular...

Your fingers look like they are well suited to twist in that lower bolt on the IP and I would recommend a good lanolin-based hand cleaner before you sit down with the family for Happy Thanksgiving supper...

As far as that chunk of cast metal...it came from somewhere...most likely some area that has a stress to it...I know that is kinda elementary...but without seeing the whole head topside...can't really say...as well as the bent tab on the GP..? Now that is strange...

Just be thankful that the engine is still running...

How are your cupholders...? That is what we all want to know...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by your palm lines...you will have a long life full of money and love to ponder all of life's mysteries...and this mystery in particular...

Your fingers look like they are well suited to twist in that lower bolt on the IP and I would recommend a good lanolin-based hand cleaner before you sit down with the family for Happy Thanksgiving supper...

As far as that chunk of cast metal...it came from somewhere...most likely some area that has a stress to it...I know that is kinda elementary...but without seeing the whole head topside...can't really say...as well as the bent tab on the GP..? Now that is strange...

Just be thankful that the engine is still running...

How are your cupholders...? That is what we all want to know...
I wasn't going to mention the hand model, but yeah. Definitely a "bottom IP bolt" type of guy. Not like @Cant Write who is probably getting photographed by Rolex or something. I don't see how these mechanic guys work with gloves on.

Ahhhh cupholders, the legacy of an innocent thread started by @Nero . Nero, did you have any idea?

And yeah, unless a previous person left that piece in the valve cover, or it fell in there while you had it open, it has to be from under that valve cover.

Speaking of hands, Mr @redandblacksmith I bet you pick a little guitar.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of hands, Mr @redandblacksmith I bet you pick a little guitar.
My bet is that he has a mean grip on a good-sized hammer and often...with those old calluses...

Speaking of guitar and hammers....I have often toyed with the idea of recording some kind of 'mechanics' song...complete with commonly-recognizable shop noises...

Bet it would sell....

Speaking of things left in an engine...I once dropped the bottom pan off of a Taurus FWD transaxle and found a small screwdiver...the heat had curled the handle a bit...but I still have it...

These look useable...

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10-12 guys that are regular on here would buy it.
I think that we need to promote the concept...and raise awareness of the work environment the guys that keep the world running have to deal with...

I have always rooted for the underdog...

You watch....someone is working on it now...as we speak...that is usually how it works out with things that I come up with...someone is trying it out for public consumption...

What were we talking about...? Originally...?

Oh, yeah...cupholders and strange glow plug ditties...

That IS kinda strange...howdahell did that tab get glued to the glow plug...?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of guitar and hammers....I have often toyed with the idea of recording some kind of 'mechanics' song...complete with commonly-recognizable shop noises...
I don't think you would have much of a song left if you tried to use common sounds in my shop!!! The majority of it would be edit bleeps!

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The majority of it would be edit bleeps!
How about the sound of a 9/16" wrench bouncing off of a windshield..?

That should be an event in a 'Mechanics Olympics'...

How many windshields can you bounce a craftsman wrench off of in a single toss...?

You know...line the vehicles up all diagonal and you are judged on not only how many bounces...but the pattern of the wrenches travel viewed from overhead....

Actually....a 3-D view would be more interesting...following the path of the wrench...it could gravitate to a higher art form...

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pink Floyd did it with "Money".
Jackal used to use a chainsaw in some of their songs. I think one was "cut the crap", Brian Johnson of AC/DC sang back up on that one. The other I remember is called "lumberjack", it's raunchy though.

Before I met Jesus Christ, I really was a burnt out pothead, alcoholic metal head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online