Strange finds in valve cover and glow plug hole

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think the chunks are too thick to be the valve keepers. I'd still bank on debris got in there the last time the valve cover was off. I've seen all sorts of weird things in there on multiple engines.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry its been a minute. Jeez, fellas, looks like Im gonna have to start an onlyfans for my hand pics

Anyway, I havent been able to open the valve covers again the last couple days, but that cast piece is way too big to be part of any of the springs themselves. I think I may have found what it is part of, though, based on the shape, contour, and thickness of the fragment.

I dont know what the part is actually called, but it looks like a fragment of one of the parts at the bottom of this photo. Does it check out that that part would end up in the valve cover if it broke?

(i dont know about on pc, but I have to open the photo on mobile to see the part Im referring to.)
Nice hands.......but really, I don't think it's a spring keeper. It's too flat and squarish, I think.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Nero I don't think it is a valve retainer. Looking at the picture you just posted could it possible be a piece of the ( I'm not sure what the technical name is) piece that goes on the bottom of the valve spring? Between the spring and head.

James

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Hm, okay. It has a pretty broad curve to it, like it would be a broad cone or some curved shape. Smooth on both the inner and outer face. That was my best guess.

I now have white smoke on start-up, a hum or vibration from what seems like the intake, and a quiet chuff coming from the passenger side on acceleration. Hopefully it isn't too serious. This is my daily driver

Attachments

• 20231126_183441.jpg
    20231126_183441.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231126_183515.jpg
    20231126_183515.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 19

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk but with the fact that you found that under the valve cover, and the fact that it sounds like you may have a valve possibly not closing all the way.

I would strongly recommend NOT starting it again until you have done a thorough inspection of everything under that valve cover. If it drops a valve you're looking at a very expensive repair.

James

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Idk but with the fact that you found that under the valve cover, and the fact that it sounds like you may have a valve possibly not closing all the way.

I would strongly recommend NOT starting it again until you have done a thorough inspection of everything under that valve cover. If it drops a valve you're looking at a very expensive repair.

James
Thats where Im leaning. I guess Im going to put together resources on how to take this all down and check it out tomorrow. Really appreciate yalls input.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats where Im leaning. I guess Im going to put together resources on how to take this all down and check it out tomorrow. Really appreciate yalls input.
You should be able to just pull the valve cover, get a good bright light and an inspection mirror and look closely at all of the valvetrain.

Hopefully it's something simple, or as Nero said something old and the odd sound you're hearing is just paranoia. But better safe than sorry.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak have you ever heard the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I usually have enough broken things to keep me busy, definitely not gonna start tearing things apart looking for problems without a reason.

James
I agree, but he might find something that really gets you thinking.............I might need to take a look under there myself......

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Ha, if it didnt start at the tail end of a long drive and a bunch of new symptoms I'd surely leave it be. Seeing as its my only vehicle, though, I gotta dig in. I'll update yall with what I find. Or maybe not and let Jesus Freak get creative. LOL

Im surprised this thing still runs, honestly. When I got it the engine wasnt even bolted down to the subframe. Didnt notice for months until it vibrated itself into contact with the cab. Had to make the engine walk itself back into position over the brackets to get it bolted in lmao.

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, if it didnt start at the tail end of a long drive and a bunch of new symptoms I'd surely leave it be. Seeing as its my only vehicle, though, I gotta dig in. I'll update yall with what I find. Or maybe not and let Jesus Freak get creative. LOL

Im surprised this thing still runs, honestly. When I got it the engine wasnt even bolted down to the subframe. Didnt notice for months until it vibrated itself into contact with the cab. Had to make the engine walk itself back into position over the brackets to get it bolted in lmao.

WOW!!! She is a real Mover and Shaker.

Goat