Strange finds in valve cover and glow plug hole

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever heard a 2 stroke Detroit cold start. It requires a full can of ether and hell follows close behind. :rotflmao

James
That's comparing apples to oranges though. A Detroit seems to be in a class all by itself. I watched a video a while back explaining the 2 stroke diesel, it's pretty interesting.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an 8V92TA in the 1980's. The smoking Jimmy as it was known. Almost impossible to start when temps dropped below 30 F. Talk about rattling... It was pretty quick. I was only beat by one Peterbilt in the Redwood City area. I knew almost nothing about diesels back then. Sure learned quick!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 8V92TA in the 1980's. The smoking Jimmy as it was known. Almost impossible to start when temps dropped below 30 F. Talk about rattling... It was pretty quick. I was only beat by one Peterbilt in the Redwood City area. I knew almost nothing about diesels back then. Sure learned quick!
The reason I looked up Detroit engines is because I was looking at it early 70s MCI bus for sale. It had a 8V??, I can't remember.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cold start, the way the governor works when cold for the first few minutes, sounds like some one pushing up and down on the peddle.
If you drive one, better have Ear Plugs. We had some at work, 6V53, and later on we had a GMC General, 13 spd 8V92. Load 14 tons of hot Asphalt, and she just went, climbed the hills like nothing.

That # 53, 71, 92 etc... is the CI of ea cylinder.

I think the early 12V Cummins was louder than our IDI`s. At least you know it isn`t a Prius or electric.

Now the Mercedes Diesels, just purr.

Not sure why this is bold type. :dunno

Dang, now I need to go watch some Detroit diesels on YT.:peelout

Goat

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been over 40 years since I owned my 8V92TA. I don't remember all of the engines that DD made.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Yeah if you want to mail the GP with the ribbon of material on it and the cast chunk to me, i'll take a REAL close look at it. See what I can see under some hundred x mag and a rad test. Might learn us all something.

153 Spoonville Road, East Granby CT 06026

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think 6.9/7.3s, for their time, are quiet. A PSD is louder at idle, but usually not going down the road.

GM diesels are fricken noisy...

12 valves with VE pumps, like from first gens, are most definitely the loudest pickup engine of their time though... a bunch of my neighbors have them, one of the neighbors who is my coworker, used to work at a Dodge dealer, had almost a dozen at one point. Think he just has two now. They were all stock exhaust, still crazy loud... I remember hauling hay with one of those trucks... he had restored it... he eventually sold it, and he wouldn't let me buy it from him, it was his baby, if it wasn't his, he never wanted to see it again. He then offered to sell me the Dodge I have now, as he went and bought a brand new truck, and the dealership he had worked for for 15 years wouldn't give him beans on trade in. Many people were actually pissed that I had bought that truck, helluva lot of people wanted it when that guy was done with it... got offered 20k for it once... people are weird and crazy

I must say, I like the sound of a Cummins... but I'm biased...

A block CAT engines are also really loud

Detroits are just demons and angels singing together... like Jesus Freak said, a class of their own...