Strange finds in valve cover and glow plug hole

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Should I assume the camshaft bushings are trashed too?
No you shouldn't. If your cam bearings are bad, then you'll gave to pull the engine and tear it apart to install new ones. That's done in a bare block setting. Can they be done without it being a bare block? Maybe but it seems like it would extremely difficult to do.
I also assume they do some sort of heat treatment to them to re-harden the surface on them.
As far as I know, yes they do.

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
No you shouldn't. If your cam bearings are bad, then you'll gave to pull the engine and tear it apart to install new ones. That's done in a bare block setting. Can they be done without it being a bare block? Maybe but it seems like it would extremely difficult to do.

As far as I know, yes they do.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Saw that in the manual, trying to decide my level of involvement. Gonna pull the 6.9 camshaft tonight before it gets too cold and see what it looks like

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Can I get yalls thoughts? I got a felpro gasket set for the water pump and front cover. Manual says to use aviation permatex, fel-pro gaskets come with blue sealant on them already. Do I add the permatex or not? Never been clear on what to do here. Im inclined to just follow gasket manufacturers instructions but I have no idea.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I get yalls thoughts? I got a felpro gasket set for the water pump and front cover. Manual says to use aviation permatex, fel-pro gaskets come with blue sealant on them already. Do I add the permatex or not? Never been clear on what to do here. Im inclined to just follow gasket manufacturers instructions but I have no idea.
Is this manual you speak of the paperwork that came with the gaskets?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the gasket is fine, but I put stuff on it anyway.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I like to put a thin coat of RTV, any kind, on both sides of the gasket or on one side and the surface that will contact the other side. I don't do this for sealing purposes, but it makes it much easier to clean up the next time that you remove the gasket/water pump. Gaskets have a bad habit of acting like they've become part of the metal after so many years.

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Is this manual you speak of the paperwork that came with the gaskets?
Im talking about this part of the '91 engine service manual. Felpro says install dry, ford says permatex film so I wanted to get opinions and experiences. Things have changed since '91, Im sure LOL

Thanks yall. Im down to do whichever, as long as it doesnt leak in there. I dont want to do this again for a while. Also got a killer deal, got the front cover gaskets, lift pump gasket, an oil seal, and the water pump gasket for $4.44.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224_091227_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_091227_Drive.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 7

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im talking about this part of the '91 engine service manual. Felpro says install dry, ford says permatex film so I wanted to get opinions and experiences. Things have changed since '91, Im sure LOL
Yes, gasket technology is pretty stellar these days.
Thanks yall. Im down to do whichever, as long as it doesnt leak in there. I dont want to do this again for a while. Also got a killer deal, got the front cover gaskets, lift pump gasket, an oil seal, and the water pump gasket for $4.44.
That’s a good deal. How are your valve cover gaskets?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had to do a water pump on an idi yet but on the powerstroke and on gassers there are a few bolts that go into the water jacket that can leak without sealant applied to the threads.

On the gaskets, if they are paper I coat both side of the gasket with wheel bearing grease. If your surfaces have any pitting I would recommend using a silicone sealant though.

James

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had to do a water pump on an idi yet but on the powerstroke and on gassers there are a few bolts that go into the water jacket that can leak without sealant applied to the threads.

On the gaskets, if they are paper I coat both side of the gasket with wheel bearing grease. If your surfaces have any pitting I would recommend using a silicone sealant though.

James
I'm 85% certain that the top 2 bolts are like that.

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Cams are switched out. Figured yall would want to see the carnage though LOL You can almost measure that gap with a ruler. The first journal on the shaft had a really big series of pits in it too.

Really glad Im digging in this far because the water pump gasket had failed into that blocked off cavity on the back of the pump and the four bolts had zero thread sealant on them.

Attachments

• 20231226_210623.jpg
    20231226_210623.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 8

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
It looked as good as I could tell without a micrometer. Everything was bright and smooth, no pits or buildup after cleaning. Just some staining and the tracking from the rollers. Journals went through the bushings nice and tight and there didnt seem to be any play once they were all in. Very relieved and now I know a lot more about this engine LOL

Getting everything cleaned up tomorrow to go back together. I haven't ever had this many parts off an engine before. The collection is staggering lmao

That’s a good deal. How are your valve cover gaskets?

Basically brand new and I even have a backup pair that came with the head gaskets lol

Attachments

• 20231226_181059.jpg
    20231226_181059.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86