Decided to rebuild the IDI

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Mine is a turbo charged 94 7.3l XLT IDI Vin k. It didn't come with the factory ATS package.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

That is an ats turbo for sure...I just spent a bunch of time staring at mine.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless the 8th digit in the vin is an M then it came with the optional factory turbo engine.though it might not say "ATS" on it anywhere.that's who ford had build the turbo kits for them back in '93 and '94.
Mine is K and the turbo is a Garrett that's waste gated.... Does that mean it has the ATS????

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm asking to much about it I jus wanna make sure I get everything right before the rebuild.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the C code (for '93) and the K code for 94 are factory turbo engines.
the M code is N/A engines.
F would be the power stroke.

ATS built the turbo kits for the turbo engine.it's a wastegated 093.the air filter chamber read "FORD"
you'll see some people with aftermarket ATS 093 kits as well.those read ATS on the air box.

like Gary stated however,these trucks are old.engines have been replaced in many of them.you'll want to insure it's a turbo block before getting carried away.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?35121-Turbo-Block-Casting-Numbers

if you discover you've got the turbo block,you'll then need to decide if you'd rather have a n/a block.one of the reasons being,the turbo blocks are externally balanced differently and should you need a flywheel/flexplate or balancer in the future,they can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack!
if i ever was going to reman an idi,it would be the n/a 7.3l and id sleeve it.however id personally never do it because i feel the engine isn't worth several grand.id always go used due to them being so plentiful and much cheaper.that's personal preferences though.

Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep! That's an ATS factory turbo (093). I upgraded my downpipe to 3"

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know, im kind of confused myself...
thats deff. an 093.
my turbo does not say ATS on it, it says garrett
but ive seen ATS 093's and the only difference is the type of down pipe connection.

if the down pipe connection is a v-band clamp, its OEM equipment.
if its a slip fit, its an aftermarket...
hope someone chimes in to let us know if this is the only difference.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATS is the company that built the kits with GARRET turbos for Ford and the ATS aftermarket supply....Kinda like BANKS uses Mitsu IIRC.

I could use any turbo, and slap RIOT turbo on a label and call it a riot turbo....

What you have is a factory ATS produced kit that Ford had them build and cast the air cleaner with Ford script logo...the same kit from ATS has ATS cast in the air cleaner...

JM2CW

Oh and the stoc NA wrist pins are not 30 the by 28 mm dia if memory serves me correctly.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

This appears to be a factory turbo setup. Also the na wrist pin size is 28mm where the turbo wrist pin is 30 or 32.. Suffering CRS today. Been out in the sun building raised bed garden walls.. I so hate working for the wifey... The pay is terrible and the hours are horrible too. But at least I'm here alone...

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the plate on the turbo. It says international. Idk if that changes anything or not. Down pipe was a Vband clamp

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same exact turbo im running now..
but not for long ;Sweet

stock ford unit. 093.

get yourself a Bull Moose, Mister injectors, and watch that thing come alive

Latest posts

Forum statistics