Decided to rebuild the IDI

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you thank you!!! I wasn't sure on what to use. As for the condition of the heads and block, what do u think could be done to get things back in order? From what I see, there is no sign of cavitation (hopefully).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only way to truly know is have a GOOD machine shop give it the once over.

I have chosen a place here in little rock called hill crest camshaft. They are known for working n large industrial diesels. 7.3 is a small engine to them. When speaking with them, they really know their stuff. Find one like this. Go talk to guys that maintain fleets of diesels, they will know which machine shop to use local to you.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add that I bought another 7.3 idi with a banks sidewinder full turbo kit Installed as a donor truck. I plan on replacing my factory turbo on my 94 with it and using some of the interior and exterior parts off of it.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way to truly know is have a GOOD machine shop give it the once over.

I have chosen a place here in little rock called hill crest camshaft. They are known for working n large industrial diesels. 7.3 is a small engine to them. When speaking with them, they really know their stuff. Find one like this. Go talk to guys that maintain fleets of diesels, they will know which machine shop to use local to you.
I'll have to give my local machine shops a visit then. what would be a rough estimate on head work just wondering.

Runningaford

Reaction score
the C code (for '93) and the K code for 94 are factory turbo engines.
the M code is N/A engines.
F would be the power stroke.

ATS built the turbo kits for the turbo engine.it's a wastegated 093.the air filter chamber read "FORD"
you'll see some people with aftermarket ATS 093 kits as well.those read ATS on the air box.

like Gary stated however,these trucks are old.engines have been replaced in many of them.you'll want to insure it's a turbo block before getting carried away.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?35121-Turbo-Block-Casting-Numbers

if you discover you've got the turbo block,you'll then need to decide if you'd rather have a n/a block.one of the reasons being,the turbo blocks are externally balanced differently and should you need a flywheel/flexplate or balancer in the future,they can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack!
if i ever was going to reman an idi,it would be the n/a 7.3l and id sleeve it.however id personally never do it because i feel the engine isn't worth several grand.id always go used due to them being so plentiful and much cheaper.that's personal preferences though.

I'm a newbie, and don't 'get it', I've got a stock NA7.3, does this mean I should keep it stock, and not hunt for a turbo set up, or ? I read a couple posts after this, where the description of the turbo 7.3 seems more 'robust', is that correct, or ? From what I've read turbo'd engines have lower compressions, to accommodate for the boost, so at least in my mind, it would balance out with the higher compressed na engine.....

Btw, threads great, learning a lot, Thanks!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to give my local machine shops a visit then. what would be a rough estimate on head work just wondering.

the going rate for a guide and valve job is about 400 a side.
this is if you stick with the normal valves.
i spent some coin on better exhaust valves to ease the mind.
but the real killer of these heads are the castings.
dont get em too hot or the castings crack!

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score

Just dropped $733 to have my heads checked, cleaned, new bronze guides and the old valves reseated

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie, and don't 'get it', I've got a stock NA7.3, does this mean I should keep it stock, and not hunt for a turbo set up, or ? I read a couple posts after this, where the description of the turbo 7.3 seems more 'robust', is that correct, or ? From what I've read turbo'd engines have lower compressions, to accommodate for the boost, so at least in my mind, it would balance out with the higher compressed na engine.....

Btw, threads great, learning a lot, Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, 91dirtydiesel had an N/A 7.3 idi and he fabed up a turbo kit for his. https://youtu.be/Q4glxVLfwOc

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the going rate for a guide and valve job is about 400 a side.
this is if you stick with the normal valves.
i spent some coin on better exhaust valves to ease the mind.
but the real killer of these heads are the castings.
dont get em too hot or the castings crack!
Is that with maching of the heads also? If my valves check out good I may reuse them or are the stock valves cheap enough to go ahead and replace?

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped $733 to have my heads checked, cleaned, new bronze guides and the old valves reseated
That's not bad at all. What was the turn around time for them?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i decided to go with inconel valves, they can handle higher heat ranges than stock valves.
they were pretty pricy, just about 500 for 8 valves.

i do alot of work for my machinist, so i got a discount on the head job,
i paid 300 to get both machined with new guides.

i also replaced my springs and retainers to compensate for the typ4 cam

a lill bit of truck **** for ya!

a whole pile of parts to install on her in the next month...

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
That's not bad at all. What was the turn around time for them?

Once they started on them, 2 days. Shop was super behind and it took 10 days before that. My heads were factory turbo so they theoretically had the inconel valves from the get go.