87 Crew Cab Project

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Yes its an unmodified te06 banks turbo. But its still going to be awhile before its on the road again...I still have drivetrain stuff to button up from the 4x4 conversion....as well as interior stuff...

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks and good luck. I am on the border, but hate "rolling coal". I am getting smoke now with a factory pump, but I can only get about 9 pounds of boost. I think I am out of fuel. I am hoping a new pump with the right timing curves can alleviate some of that. I really enjoy seeing these updates. I think you are going to have a great truck once you get it buttoned up.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Thats the plan...right now I want to get the motor in and broke in...and get the drive train put together and all the bugs worked out so hopefully in spring I can do the body work on the cab and do the nose swap along with a flatbed...and hopefully all before the rally. Though with it in new jersey next year not sure if we will make it or not yet. Depends on how funds are closer to then...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds awesome. Makes me really want to get mine done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well the past 2 weeks i was finally able to get back to the truck. since i had to remove the crumbling vinyl flooring so i could do some light rust repair i decided to replace it with a new carpet from ACC. I purchased it through rockauto for around $275. I bought the 100% nylon w/ mass backing in Caramel color to match my tan interior.

all i can say is holy cow is it heavy. It is good heavy duty material with a heavy rubber backing. the mass back is denser then the original jute backing. I did 1 layer of peel n seal on the back wall behind the wall carpet, the drivers floor pan, and the trans tunnel. the pass floor pan still had the factory asphalt. i also put one layer going up the center posts as well as 2 layers of the foil bubble Reflectix on the floor.

i would say the molding could have been better. It seemed to me that the foot pad and transtunnel bump was about 4' too far toward the rear of the carpet. which then leads to it not sitting right at the back of the cab. there was plenty of overage to trim it but once the seats are in you dont see it and it looks great.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also for the time beaing... cleaned up the crusty door sills. its amazing what some dawn dish soap and purple power cleaner can do...hot water and a fingernail brush off a bottle of fast orange hand cleaner...

before

after

now seats in...

i also got the radiator swapped out...$218 from napa

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/free...131123_104554_zps75820299.jpg.html?state=copy

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a set of the aluminum 86 n older set. polished up they look great thats what i did?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Not too many pics to post but I have been making some progress.

I got the rear driveshaft cut down..a new slip yoke and center bearing installed and it all back together...

got the SRW hubs swapped out for DRW front hubs

now it looks like a dually again...

I also got the front shock mounts bolted on and the new front shocks on... buttoned a few things up under the hood...

now I'm messing with wiring. i swapped out my steering column due to bad ignition gears.... started converting the front doors to power windows and locks...

and ive got an adjustable pan hard bar on order...a new speedometer cable on order...a radiator support mount kit from jeffs bronco graveyard on order...some electrical supplies and all new tierods for the D60.

should be back on the road soon!

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well its been awhile so time for another update.

I have trying to button up the small stuff that really adds up...

got my kingpins torqued down... i didnt have a torque multiplier so i made one....

4' 1" sch40 pipe with a socket welded to one end and a 7/8" allen wrench slipped inside the other....

then i got underneath and fixed my hard lines for my brakes... installed my adjustable panhard bar....cleaned up a bit of wiring....

then got to installing some gauges...

boost and pyro courtesy of Conestoga Diesel Injection...

I used the glow shift pillar pod. I used a heat gun to get it to conform to the trim then a flap sander on my grinder and a file to make it fit a bit better.

ended up with this...

i used this for paint....a friend of mine gave it to me about 10years ago. its the ford match paint for the mid 90's interior.

eventually i will be making a special mount and adding this to the dash above the hvac controls...

then on to the rear. i cut the ubolts...disconnected the swaybar links and the shocks then proceeded to add in the F350 factory 4" lift blocks in the rear...

i got new shocks and end links coming from rock auto

this is how it sits now (dont mind the mess...)

and just for reference here is where i started again...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookin mighty find I must say.

Neat FORD paint love that!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Just a wee bit curious if it has a firewall plate installed ;Poke

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your U bolts. I've been looking all over for them and seems nobody stocks them, or I'm not looking for the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
locally at fort wayne spring works.

they are 5/8" diameter.... 3 5/8" ID....i think 15" total length....

any spring shop should be able to bend them up for you