87 Crew Cab Project

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
not much to report....

got my rad support cleaned up....small rust spot patched and repainted...

You must be registered for see images attach

then spent the better part of 2 and a half days playing with the 3-7.3's i got here trying to make one good one out of the three... turns out they all had issues....the one i got on the stand had one hole that is right on the ragged edge of being in spec (+/- .001 depending on how you hold the telescope bore gauge)... the other two had significant cylinder wear that a hone would never touch among valve guide issues...

this is the one head off the original motor to the truck... 3 of the 4 valve seals on the exhaust side didnt even exist anymore...

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/freebird01/media/87%20Crew%20Cab/2013-09-01_15-05-17_446_zpsbbecefd3.mp4.html

think that valve guide is ok? HAHAHA

then after getting fully fed up with engines i proceeded to cut some holes in the drivers side floor pan

thats where i stopped for the weekend

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
while i will be putting together a 7.3 out of the parts i got to get the truck up and going i managed to pick up a 6.9L from a friend the other weekend that needs some work...

managed to win an auction on ebay for these babys!

8 factory IH pistons...standard size...still sealed in the original IH boxes.... original IH stickers on the box...

total cost.... $91.96 w/ free shipping!!!!!!!

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
not much else to show....slapping this on for some turbo mounting design work as well as some visual motivation...

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much did you score the bulnose front clip for?
I would reaaallly want to do this to my truck when im going 4wd.
Did you need a different hood too?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i paid $200 for the clip with the hood and an 80-86 cowl panel...

the hood isnt pretty but the rest of the clip is in excellent shape. its from an F150 but i managed to get a diesel core support from ironman03

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well i havent updated this in awhile....not much worth updating...

been slowly working on putting the 7.3 back together... all new bearings...new rings.. quick hone job...head studs...new bb code injectors...lapped the valves...new valve seals... banks sidewinder turbo...bull moose pump...

well finally i got the engine back in the frame. spent all of yesterday hooking just about everything up and then the batteries died from lack of use while i was trying to get the air out. so instead of getting upset i put one of the batts on a charger and left it go for the night. this morning i went and did this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN5U2xKTAIQ

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that is satisfying. Sounds good. Is your banks turbo unmodified? If it is, let me know how it works with that bull moose pump. I am a week or two away from ordering, and not sure if I am going with a bull or a junior.