87 Crew Cab Project

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
*EDIT* it has a rust hole or two... its not perfect. it it looked a bit funny on a brick nose. the dually is getting a slant nose front clip so it may look a bit better on there

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding rust holes, refer to quote #1 from my signature LOL In all seriousness tho, to me fixing a lightly damaged bumper is a whole lot easier than building one from scratch. As long as the ready-made bumper satisfies the basic requirements of course.

So slantnose eh? That ought to be pretty nice, I always liked the look of 4x4 crew slants, and yours has the dually thing going for it too.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well today was productive. i managed to swap out all my temporary grade 2 hardware with grade 8 flange bolts and lock nuts.

drilled the holes and mounted the panhard bar bracket

You must be registered for see images attach

here you can see the current shackle ngle and the cut out...

mounted the shock mounts...

also managed to get the transmission sitting in place. i still need to finish bolting down the cross member. i am beginning to hit that tipping point where more money i required over work...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
not much of an update....forgot to post this up after Sunday...

Got the steering box all cleaned up and bolted on. figured id find out if it was the box or the pump leaking before i did anything

then i finished bolting on the frame rail support and got it welded also just like factory...

took the cap off so i can use the bed for storage a bit easier...

and pulled the front seat and front flooring out so i can hopefully tackle some rust repair this weekend

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then i finished bolting on the frame rail support and got it welded also just like factory...
So in the factory setup, is that reinforcement welded to the frame and riveted/bolted to the crossmember, or just riveted/bolted to both? In other words how hard is it to remove from a donor frame?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
LCAM... its riveted and welded. the rivets arent too bad with you cut an "x" in them and hammer then off with an air chisel...but the welds are pretty deep you you need a new wheel and a bit of patients. its only welded top and bottom along the seam on the inside so its just too long welds. not easy but i didnt think it was too bad....

then again i do have the entire front of the truck apart hahaha

steve.... good question LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like a very long/busy junkyard day, involving draining multiple batteries for the cordless grinder. Or I can just cut make my own reinforcements, which is probably what will happen.

Ironman, are you also doing a 4x4 install? What is this, season of the 4x4 duallies? LOL