7.3 IDI Turbo Build for '87 Crew Cab Dually 4x4

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video of short block assembly is now live.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
the guy in the comments trying to call you out that plastigauge is better than measuring haha

Also, I liked when you were putting your first piston in and was like, “now go gently” and your pressing with a couple of fingers. I said to myself no way.. I have to tap with a dead blow handle. Then you smack it with your palm. Then the camera cuts and the deadblow comes out to play.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy in the comments trying to call you out that plastigauge is better than measuring haha

Exactly! I was trying to be polite, but it wasn't easy.

Also, I liked when you were putting your first piston in and was like, “now go gently” and your pressing with a couple of fingers. I said to myself no way.. I have to tap with a dead blow handle. Then you smack it with your palm. Then the camera cuts and the deadblow comes out to play.

Yeah, I was trying to use as little force as necessary, but not easy to do without the dead blow.

Thanks

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Plastigauge is just for a rough estimate. Calipers and mechanical gauges are way more accurate. We don't even use Plastigauge at my work.

But of course, commenters on YouTube are forever smarter than us, right? :idiot:

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently finished a DIY valve job on the 7.3 using Neway cutters. Also reamed and honed the valve guides, lapped the valves, and set up the Comp 910 springs at 1.800" installed height. Here's the link to the video in case anyone is curious about the process.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 3 is on YT now - installing valley pan, intake, heads and head studs, water pump, fuel pump, rockers and pushrods, and installing it in the truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not saying that you did anything wrong, but here's a few things that I do differently and some other observations. I always install the pump gear and housing before I put the front engine cover on so that I KNOW that the gears are in time. I also never install just part of the motor mounts with the engine. I install the whole thing because it's easier to line up the lower studs with the slots in the crossmember than the bolt holes in the two pieces. There's nothing wrong with moving the truck to install and remove the engine. I use an A frame and a chain hoist. The 7.3 studs that I got from Justin only said the torque the nuts to factory spec in the instructions. I'll have to torque them to 125 before I install my turbo. The 6.9 studs that I bought from ARP said to torque them to 100 ft/lbs ( stock is 80 IIRC). Then it said to back the nuts off and torque them two more times.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s odd my ARP 6.9 head studs said 80ft lbs in them Si that’s what I did.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that you did anything wrong, but here's a few things that I do differently and some other observations. I always install the pump gear and housing before I put the front engine cover on so that I KNOW that the gears are in time. I also never install just part of the motor mounts with the engine. I install the whole thing because it's easier to line up the lower studs with the slots in the crossmember than the bolt holes in the two pieces. There's nothing wrong with moving the truck to install and remove the engine. I use an A frame and a chain hoist. The 7.3 studs that I got from Justin only said the torque the nuts to factory spec in the instructions. I'll have to torque them to 125 before I install my turbo. The 6.9 studs that I bought from ARP said to torque them to 100 ft/lbs ( stock is 80 IIRC). Then it said to back the nuts off and torque them two more times.

I hear you on the pump gear and housing; we'll see if it's an issue getting it lined up.

Good point on the motor mounts; it was not easy getting it lined up. I'll try your method next time.

In Justin's video, he goes to 150. I split the difference between the factory spec (125) and Justin's recommendation (150) and went with 137.

Thanks

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is now for sale on eBay with No Reserve. Here's the link in case anyone is interested - https://www.ebay.com/itm/325687885812

I have a lot of $ and time invested in the truck; someone is going to get one hell of a deal.

Here's why I'm selling -

Thanks,

Scott

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's too bad that you won't be able to see this through to completion. After watching the video, I can understand why you're selling it.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad that you won't be able to see this through to completion. After watching the video, I can understand why you're selling it.

Yeah, it's upsetting to let it go before it's done, but it's the only decision that makes sense at this point.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online