7.3 idit build

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
You could probably pickup Flouropenetrant fluid for a fairly cheap price as well which, when combined with a blacklight flashlight, should show any fine cracks. There are also testing facilities that offer this service for a fairly cheap price. My company uses one right down the road from us and they charge a min lot charge of 74$

AndrewLinderman

Reaction score
Alright in the next few days I will be cleaning up the block for paint and polishing the crankshaft.

For polishing that crankshaft. What is the recommended sandpaper grit? 800,1000? Also does it matter what metal polish is used

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright in the next few days I will be cleaning up the block for paint and polishing the crankshaft.

For polishing that crankshaft. What is the recommended sandpaper grit? 800,1000? Also does it matter what metal polish is used
I do 400 grit

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could probably pickup Flouropenetrant fluid for a fairly cheap price as well which, when combined with a blacklight flashlight, should show any fine cracks. There are also testing facilities that offer this service for a fairly cheap price. My company uses one right down the road from us and they charge a min lot charge of 74$

When I checked my cylinder heads, I used dye penetrant (Zyglo) and magnetic particle (Magnaflux) testing. Both showed the cracks, but I preferred the magnaflux for testing magnetic material.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Crosshatch in your cylinder looks nice. Looks like you didn't go too fine on the grit.

On the engine paint, I went with VHT engine enamel in Ford Gray - ended up needing 3 or 4 cans. I wasn't able to find it locally so I had to order from Amazon. Went on fine, but I'm not super impressed with resistance to chemicals - came off real easy with acetone. I was hoping it would be more resistant to petroleum based stuff.

May have mentioned this already, but when you clean, make sure the head bolt holes are 100% clear. That's if you're using ARP head studs. Otherwise, they won't seat all the way and you'll have clearance issues with rocker arms.

On the crank, I went with 600/1000/1500 then Mother's Mag Wheel and Aluminum polish. It's a fairly tedious process, and I think you'd be fine if you just did 600/1000. The 1500 and metal polish didn't seem to make much difference.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AndrewLinderman

Reaction score
Sweet. Appreciate all the comments and information.

What is the best way of removing the valve springs and installing new ones?Is there a tool needed?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a tool needed?
I would say a valve spring compressor is mandatory. I have accomplished to disassembled with a socket and hammer, but I think it would be rather difficult to reassemble without a compressor.

James

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say a valve spring compressor is mandatory. I have accomplished to disassembled with a socket and hammer, but I think it would be rather difficult to reassemble without a compressor.

James
I’d be damn impressed if anyone has done it that way for assembly

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Another option, and this is one I did on a vw tdi head, get a copper tube, I think 1 1/2 diameter, cut an oval into the side of it, and use a hydraulic press to compress the spring.

Or get the otc tool.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Appreciate all the comments and information.

What is the best way of removing the valve springs and installing new ones?Is there a tool needed?

You need a valve spring compressor. See this video at about 31:00.

AndrewLinderman

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was able to borrow a spring compressor from a friend luckily worked great.

Only did one head but no play in any of the valve guides.

Does anyone know the difference between positive valve seals and normal seals?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was able to borrow a spring compressor from a friend luckily worked great.

Only did one head but no play in any of the valve guides.

Does anyone know the difference between positive valve seals and normal seals?

Positive valve seals don’t move with the valve.

See this video at 34:00 -

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86