7.3 IDI Turbo Build for '87 Crew Cab Dually 4x4

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don’t need to run exhaust seals. That aside, they do go on very tight and anytime I’ve taken the heads off they have been broken. Intake valve seals, shouldn’t be having an issue. I use comp 910 springs too.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don’t need to run exhaust seals. That aside, they do go on very tight and anytime I’ve taken the heads off they have been broken. Intake valve seals, shouldn’t be having an issue. I use comp 910 springs too.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to end up running exhaust seals. The issue is not that they're tight around the valve (they are; I have .015" oversize stems, but they're umbrella seals so no big deal) but the seal OD is fairly large compared to the ID of the Comp 910 springs. If I can get some seals that fit easily inside the spring, I'll run them. Otherwise I'll go without.

On the intake side, I'm running positive seals, and they're too easy to install (I can just push them on by hand) and they won't stay in place. I either have the wrong seals or someone machined the OD of the valve guide boss a bit to run a smaller seal than OEM. I'll check them against some stock heads this weekend. If I need different seals, hopefully I can get some locally or overnighted this weekend so I can get the heads done and installed.

Thanks

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I figured out the issue with the intake valve seals -- the intake guide bosses have been machined down from .626" or so to .562". The seals I ordered were for stock unmachined bosses, so they wouldn't remain in place. Ordered some Viton seals for a .562 valve guide with 3/8" valves so I should be set.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why are you selling the truck after putting so much work into it? Just something you enjoy doing?

Yep. I just enjoy working on them, and if I lose $ when I sell them (I certainly will with this one), no big deal.

Also, I'm retiring from the Army in mid-July and headed back home to Texas. I have 5 project cars waiting for me there. I can really put Brutus first in the queue, and if it's last, I will be years before I can get to it.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head studs installed, followed by head gaskets, heads, pushrods, then rockers.