87 Crew Cab Project

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Not really...got tired of working on it for awhile and my samurai has been neglected for way too long. I had started with a knock that got progressively got worse that I diagnosed to a loose rocker arm. Something must not have seated right when I tightend them down.... got that fixed then moving it around it started with one on the other side....so the other week I had fixed that but other then that it sits for the time being...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Well time for an update...

Schedule has been busy with my new job. and in the middle of it all my daily driver deicded to blow the headgasket. some since i was waiting on some parts i got back to working on the dually.

last weekend I managed to get the front diff cover cleaned up and put on properly...diff filled with oil.....filled the t-case and trans with oil...finished installing the new rear shocks. Re-routed a fuel line and bled the brakes.

this past week i took it to a local garage and got the front end aligned and the panhard bar set as well as swapped in a pair of 235's on the front so now all the tires are the same size. Yesterday my son and I went to the DMV and got the tags for it. then i proceeded to swap in a new wiper motor and replace the speedo cable with a 4x4 one.

Today I put on 4"exhaust...new sway bar end links (2x4 ones were a tad short) and started to re-assemble the interior. the only thing i really need to do is put some interior panels back for now and fix my pass side hip lights. . I finished removing the last of the running boards...

here is now she sits now...

You must be registered for see images attach

here is how it sounds with the 4" straight pipe.... 7.3L w/ banks sidewinder wastegated turbo 4" straight pipe and bull moose pump..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuOOIGgOoHw

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
latest update.... still havent put the 86 nose on it yet. ran out of time....have some personal things brewing that is going to have me traveling a lot!

bought a contractors cap for it for $125. just need to redo the locks, and i added a warn winch bumper to it. its been well used and needs some love but again with the time thing... havent decided if im going to try and straighten the one wing thats a tad bent or cut them off and replace them with something more substantial.

where it all began...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
not much of an update.... my steering has been howling and recently the steering box started dumping fluid like crazys ... so since im home for 2 weeks over the holidays I swapped in a rebuilt steering box with the F-superduty pitman arm (still not sure it was worth the $40 but oh well) and a new steering pump for the hydroboost. so now it steers fine...doesnt leak...stops fine...and the pump doesnt howl.

Then i decided to try and tackle my defuct gauges ended up finding out my brand new speedo cable snapped. so i got a universal kit to replace the inner shaft and ficed that...swapped the gear with one from trans that came from the truck. and took the cluster and swapped out the tach with another one i had. so now my tach works again, the speedo works but its off. (got other cable gears on order) and now my dash glows blue with some LED's from EBAY...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Well...time to resurrect this thread again....

I have been daily driving it off and on since November. I changed jobs where im at home more and my commute is very close to home...

I had a few things to fix in the back end and have been putting them off. well...now that the weather is good time to start.

Here is how it sat up until a week ago...

I pulled the rear fenders....

then built a stand to hold the bed out of some scrap wood...

next off comes the bed...

then i replaced both fuel tank sending units for new ones so my fuel gauges actually work again...took a pressure washer to the back end to clean it... and thats where im at. i want to remove the gooseneck plate and some other brackets that were welded to the frame then i need to start to plan out a few things.

I want to run some heavy duty electric lines to the rear for a winch power port, repair my tail light wiring, fix my cobbled together exhaust, and try to make an air compressor and a PTO co-exist with my 4" exhaust under the truck.

I decided i am going to ditch the bed and go with a steel frame/wood deck flat bed. still working on the design for that... got my paint colors picked out...its going to be 2012 F250 Golden Bronze Metallic and Pale Adobe Metallic in the original 2 tone pattern. gunna get the 86 nose ... lots of work ahead. i want it painted and back on the road before winter.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring it over and I'll paint it. Guaranteed no more than 10 12 paint runs. :dunno ;Really