Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once pulled and installed an E4OD in log truck like 5 times just to buy it some time.Then up for sale comes a good trans (reman at one time) for near core cost.Persistence pays off and if your determined,it all works out in the end.Meanwhile,you gain something that money can't buy.Experience and wisdom.That's life.Often things don't work out as planned but,is all about keeping the right attitude to roll with it.You'll gain from this too Mike.;Sweet
I'm gaining experience alright. Experience beating myself to death, bleeding all over everything and cleaning the shower because...it needed it after tonight's episode.

Just pull the engine they say. It will be fun, they say. [emoji849]

If it were just pulling engine it wouldn't be a big deal but it's pull the trans, unhook everything to the trans. Pull the driveshafts. Pull all the exhaust apart up front. Pull the radiator. I don't have enough help so I end up pulling the hood and core support to get the engine out. At least I made the electrical easy. LOL

Three plugs and the thermocouple. I hate doing work twice when I screw something up much less when someone else does. It's like being at work an extra 8 hrs a day.

Enough of that. I'll have it on a stand tomorrow and hopefully field stripped and palleted on Sunday.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask why you took the front end apart but you answered it. it would save some time to leave it all together but if you cant get the engine over the rad support.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to have help but I never know for sure so I'm going for the sure thing. Even if I have help now, I may not at reinstall time. I think it's worth the couple extra hours to pull the core support.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All but the oil pump now.
You must be registered for see images attach

Didn't think the first oil change would be quite so involved.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really guys??? Don't I have enough to do now???

That may be the next project. I'm thinking a crew cab up the road with more power.

Pallet is ready. Had to build one. The one I had wasn't big enough.

Used the back plate as a pattern. I'll drop it on once I know if they are picking it up here or if I have to drop it off.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's off.

The box on top is a brand new NOS cam with updated gear.

They will be installing it and sending me the torque cam back. Let's call it out of an abundance of caution at this point until I can check that cam out and be 100% it will work. Maybe in my next engine build. For now I just need it on the road. I was planning to camp this weekend but not so much.

Sent my Redhead steering gear back today as well. Just call me UPS today.

LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a couple things to address. Thought I'd lay them out so maybe I won't forget and I can start pregaming things a bit.

I discovered a couple problems with my exhaust. First, it wasn't even close to being sealed at the connections to either manifold. After reading, I've found the it's a common Banks problem if you re-use the stock studs in the manifold. Not enough threads on the stud so it runs out of travel before it actually comes tight. That's probably where the rest of my boost is. The drivers side caused a near catastrophe. It almost melted the turbo oil feed line. That would have been bad. Good thing the oil pressure gauge is at the turbo. Might have caught it before it melted down. Looking at upgrading that line to a ptfe lined hose. We shall see what I can come up with. May just replace it as it was and watch it so I don't have to redo a bunch of stuff. The exhaust was blowing right on it so I think with that corrected it will probably be fine.

Speaking of oil and turbo, now is a good time to re-visit the oil restrictor question. I have went back and forth with some of the guys running this turbo and honestly I don't know what the right answer is. I'm going to check and see what size restrictor it is and maybe swap out the mount for one that has replaceable orifices.

I also need fresh gaskets for the oil cooler headers. I don't think I'm going to change the o-rings. It's got less than 1500 miles on it but the dorman metal oil cooler gaskets suck. Stay away from them.

Going to try and get the steering lined out while the engine is out. Lot easier to work on.

Injector orings. Should I change them? I bought injectors from Russ and they came with what looks like viton o-rings. With 1500 miles do I change them or just put the return caps back on with lots of lube?

These are the things I'm thinking about. I'd like to get at least one more camping trip in this year so I'm hoping they get it back to me relatively soon so I can put it back together.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I needed RTV with the rubber seals in the gaskets. Apparently I was wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7