Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight was more cleaning silicone and gaskets off stuff. Got everything done I think. Just need to clean everything thoroughly now. True to form, ups frieght tracking is broken. They will probably call me tomorrow or Tuesday. I'd like to be ready to stab it in over the weekend but life and work are getting in the way of truck time. [emoji20]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New red head steering box installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Love my electric impact. It spun that pitman arm nut off without too much argument once I put a fresh battery on it.

I also tightened up the slip joint in the steering shaft. Reshaped it a hair. Took a ton of slop out of the system. That and the Redhead box it should drive like a new one so long as there's no issues with this one.

Rolled the engine over and it doesn't click like it did anymore. Go figure.

Need to send an email. I think they put stock valve springs. These have white stripes. I think the comp springs had yellow stripes. So maybe they took me a little too serious when I said put it back stock. With the stock cam, stock springs should be fine. I figure this engine is going to stay all stock. If I'm going to build one it will be the other one I have.

I was kinda hoping they put fresh slugs in but it doesn't look like the bottom end was touched at all.

At some point, I'll stick a dial indicator on the torque cam and see if it's reasonably in spec for the next build.

Hopefully it will be ready to stab in by tomorrow night. We will see.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna have it back in by the end of the weekend?! Look at the other bright side, by pulling it you found that exhaust leak so it'll have more boost now!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. There's another thing I caught too. The exhaust leak almost burnt the turbo oil feed in two. That would have been really bad.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built a couple old steering gear lines into flush/fill lines...one sits in bucket clean oil...other gets vacuum pump evacuator....I draw fluid in amd slowly manually turn box back amd forth till either clean oil (if flushimg old box) or good solid oil no bubbles comes oit on new box....

Makes bleeding soo much nicer....

Just am idea for u

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been since noon on this.

Whew. I'm beat. Got a few more things to deal with to button it up. I need bolts or studs for the exhaust manifolds. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet.

Short list:
Exhaust manifolds
Turbo up pipe
Oil plug
Harmonic balance
Pulleys
Accessories
GP harness
Injectors
Returns
IP
Adapter
Flywheel
Clutch /pressure plate

Sounds simple right? LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't take many pictures but here's where I am. I put the injectors in with new copper washers. I checked the orings very carefully and I don't see any wear or knicks in them so I left them alone.

I need some exhaust manifold studs. If you look close at this one you can see where the flange bottomed out on it before it sealed.

You other guys running banks plumbing be aware of that. So I either need some studs without the hex or maybe bolts. Not sure which way to go.

Then a near disaster. Went to pull the balancer on with the bolt and it was just long enough to catch. Something went amiss and I ended up pulling the threads off the end of the bolt and boogered the first thread in the crank hole.

[emoji15]

Luckily I was able to clean it up with a tap and all is okay now.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always give the balancer a good whack before tryin to thread the bolt

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Banks do like ATS and have you remove the studs and just use 7/16in bolts? Just a thought. Also for the balancer I've used a balancer installer. They are relationship cheap and take the worry out of doing that again.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there should have been studs because I have what look like the correct studs in the other manifold. It was all second hand so I honestly don't know what came with it. For that matter I just dont remember. Bolts are an option. Thought I'd check on studs first but if they are hard to find I'll go for bolts.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just have studs without the hex head that I see in your picture. They seem to snug up fine. At least I never noticed a leak while it was on the F-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Mine just have studs without the hex head that I see in your picture. They seem to snug up fine. At least I never noticed a leak while it was on the F-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine started with hex studs, removed em and put in hex head free studs on passenger side only

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online