Trip report.

So final tally for the trip:

617 miles down through WV

86.5 gallons diesel.

That's 7.1 mpg. [emoji15]

649 miles coming home.
64 gallons diesel.

So 10.1 mpg.

Aside from the tolls, there is really no down side to the northern route. I more than saved the tolls in fuel though. I whipped it hard through KY on the way down. But I whipped it about as hard all the way back.

As far as the truck performing it did really well on the way back. Did okay on the way down through the mountains. Documented the valve issue. No issue coming back.

Lost the brake lights/hazard circuit so also lost the signal for the brake control. Used manual control the last 200 miles. Fixed with fuse under dash. Not sure what's causing this but I've popped a few fuses now.

Need to find a set of flat real axle blocks. With the load on it. The axle wrap is causing a driveline vibration. I hadn't seen it before but at the campground I can see that the drive shaft is almost above straight just sitting empty. I think changing blocks will cure that.

Mirrors suck. They are rusting already and in the rain I was completely blind.

Need to fix the delay wipers. That was annoying.

Need to get to the bottom of the valve issue.

Have an exhaust leak. Side of the trans has soot on it.

Another note: either my truck is much quieter now or I just lost all those frequencies after 1200+ miles.

Bottom line is she got me there and back so I can't complain too much.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Her economy will be crap until she's run in so I wouldn't worry too much about that for a while.Besides the valve issue,all just minor things.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the fuel mileage part. After a rebuild it'll take a little bit before the rings fully seat and fuel mileage comes up and settles in where its gonna be.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've always been told break it in like you intend to use it. It's first 1500 miles were driven like she was stolen loaded heavy.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressive! Glad it was a good trip. You're mileage seems OK to me pulling through the hills like that. And would expect it to come up a bit as discussed.

:Thumbs Up

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! That would stink........ If this effort is due to an issue they created, I'd ask for parts & labor reimbursement. Jerkin an engine out of one of these ain't no 30 min job, and each time creates the possibility of damaging previous work (paint would be a huge concern).....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not where I thought I'd be early August.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once pulled and installed an E4OD in log truck like 5 times just to buy it some time.Then up for sale comes a good trans (reman at one time) for near core cost.Persistence pays off and if your determined,it all works out in the end.Meanwhile,you gain something that money can't buy.Experience and wisdom.That's life.Often things don't work out as planned but,is all about keeping the right attitude to roll with it.You'll gain from this too Mike.;Sweet