how to check transfer case oil level?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the person i bought my truck from said the transfer case uses ATF - does anyone know if this is correct? also, how do you check the oil level in it? I was underneath looking around and could not find a bolt that you remove to check the level. I found them for the front & rear axels and also the manual transmission but not the transfer case. I think there were two bolts near the bottom of it but they looked more like for draining it.

thanks,
paul

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the transfer case does use ATF. There should be 2 plugs on the rear of the case, that can be removed witha 3/8" socket extension. Fill through the upper plug until it runs out.

Ryan

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if you run a hose down between the bed and the cab it's a lot easier to fill.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
level the truck and remove the top plug on the back of the case. when you remove it a little fluid should start to run out. I think the case holds 2qts but no positive

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of atf to use? is dextron ok or does ford have a specific brand that you have to use?

Also, mine seems to have a small leak where the two sections of the case meet. would that be a major project to replace the gasket between them? My guess is that it would be a lot easier to just keep adding fluid every so often but i just thought i would ask. Maybe the torx nuts just need to be tightened - but i have never seem them that big and don't have the wrench to do it with - and for that matter i don't understand why they used torx nuts to hold it together. If anyone can tell me what size they are it would be easier to find the right wrench (89 f250).
thanks,
paul

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I find a squeeze bottle from under the sink...AKA old dish soap bottle with a small hose attached is my favorite fillin tool. make sure ya clean out all the soap first though n don't put it back for the woman to pour onto the dishes :D

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
what kind of atf to use? is dextron ok or does ford have a specific brand that you have to use?

Also, mine seems to have a small leak where the two sections of the case meet. would that be a major project to replace the gasket between them? My guess is that it would be a lot easier to just keep adding fluid every so often but i just thought i would ask. Maybe the torx nuts just need to be tightened - but i have never seem them that big and don't have the wrench to do it with - and for that matter i don't understand why they used torx nuts to hold it together. If anyone can tell me what size they are it would be easier to find the right wrench (89 f250).
thanks,
paul

Just use the same ATF that goes in your tranny.
For the leak just degrease it good & JB Weld it. Yes it will hold up just fine! :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thanks,
paul

The older Dextron. Not Dextron V (5). I fill it with an outboard motor lower gear case lube rig.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use the same ATF that goes in your tranny.
For the leak just degrease it good & JB Weld it. Yes it will hold up just fine! :D

great idea!
what's a good degreaser to use?
So you just run the JB all along the seam? will that cause problems if the case ever needs to be taken apart for repair?
thanks,
paul

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

thanks,
paul

T50 will pop the screws out. The case is glued so no gasket to fix.

You can use any of the latest and greatest tranny fluid. Mercon Dextron Mercon V are all good to use.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
great idea!
what's a good degreaser to use?
So you just run the JB all along the seam? will that cause problems if the case ever needs to be taken apart for repair?
thanks,
paul

For degreasing I always just use good old Brake cleaner in a spray can. It works great on bugs in the summer time too! :D
JB Weld can be broken with a hammer & chissle if you REALLY need to get something apart but I don't think you'll ever have that issue.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
What year truck do you have?

Any ATF would work really, as the transfer case isn't gonna be picky about friction modifiers (mercon vs mercon V) or other things.

Look closer and that fill plug will be up there too. New brass pipe plugs for easy maintenance in a BW1356 for reference.

You must be registered for see images attach

Adrianspeeder