Borg Warner 1356 Transfer Case Rebuild

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a BW 1356 transfer case for Project Brutus; figured I'd post pics and details here in case anyone was interested.

I picked up the TC several months ago from a guy in PA who parts out a lot of trucks. He had no idea on the internal condition. Anyway, now that the 7.3 IDI and ZF-5 are rebuilt and installed in Brutus, I need the TC done so I can finish the drivetrain and figure out what I need for a rear driveshaft.

As far as history, the 1356 seems to have been installed in Ford Broncos and trucks from 1987-1997 in both manual and electric shift versions. The F350 versions (and also some F250's, I think) can run a PTO. The one that I have has PTO capability as well as the speedo gear setup, which will work for my 1987 F350. Later versions of the 1356 weren't set up for a speedo gear.

Disassembly was quite simple; took me maybe 1.5 hours, and that's only because this is the first one that I've disassembled. Next one should be apart in an hour or less. Only specialty tools needed was a torx bit (T50), snap ring pliers, and a seal remover to pry the old seals out.

When I got it cracked open, I was quite pleased to see that it was very clean inside. The case halves are in good shape, there's no appreciable wear on the main shaft, there's very little evidence of pump rub on the case, and the pump looks like it's new or close to it. Chain looks nice, too. I'm going to get everything cleaned up, but I think it's going to go back together with only new seals and bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 29

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hey I have that same transfer case. Does it have a part number on it that distinguishes it different from the non-pto version? My dad's f350 doesn't have a pto. I know @Jesus Freak is interested in them.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey I have that same transfer case. Does it have a part number on it that distinguishes it different from the non-pto version? My dad's f350 doesn't have a pto. I know @Jesus Freak is interested in them.
Just look for the PTO cover.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just look for the PTO cover.
I mean that's the obvious solution, but for the inquiring mind that likes to read up things, part numbers are helpful.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in how this turns out. The 1356 in my truck (from a 1991 F350) is the last part of the drivetrain that hasn't been replaced or refreshed. And I can confirm the PTO vs non-PTO versions. I've been looking for a spare to rebuild and swap in, but am holding out for another PTO version. Not sure what I'll do with it, because I'm not using the PTO on mine now. But I just like the idea of hooking something up to it eventually.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of what the front case looks like inside, especially the side pump nubbins @bulletpruf

I work at a transmission rebuild shop. My boss just got done doing my 1356 tcase
Make sure you measure the play in the front planetary, and thoroughly inspect it.

The non pto 1356 that came out of my truck, ran and drove great and had no issues, however it had a ton of metal in it and the front planetary was eating itself plus the nubbin for the pump was warn thru

Here is my most recent pic of my newly rebuilt tcase
Pto so I can add a finned pto cover to it, and freshly painted

You must be registered for see images attach

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of guys add surface area to the pump arm to keep it from rubbing through the case. you can google BW 1356 oil pump mod. there are some good pictures and write up s on Fullsizebronco.com. even just google images shows some good shots of it. seems pretty easy for some peace of mind.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
Incase you don't know (or for the next guy).

Take the shifter all the way apart and polish up the sliding components and lube with waterproof boat grease, so it shifts like butter....

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in how this turns out. The 1356 in my truck (from a 1991 F350) is the last part of the drivetrain that hasn't been replaced or refreshed. And I can confirm the PTO vs non-PTO versions. I've been looking for a spare to rebuild and swap in, but am holding out for another PTO version. Not sure what I'll do with it, because I'm not using the PTO on mine now. But I just like the idea of hooking something up to it eventually.

It did take a bit of time for me to find the right one, too, since I was looking for PTO and an earlier version with the speedo provision.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of what the front case looks like inside, especially the side pump nubbins @bulletpruf

Will do. Really has minimal wear from the pump.

I work at a transmission rebuild shop. My boss just got done doing my 1356 tcase
Make sure you measure the play in the front planetary, and thoroughly inspect it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it.

The non pto 1356 that came out of my truck, ran and drove great and had no issues, however it had a ton of metal in it and the front planetary was eating itself plus the nubbin for the pump was warn thru

Mine really didn't have much metal at all. The magnet wasn't fully covered and the fluid wasn't glittery, either.

Here is my most recent pic of my newly rebuilt tcase
Pto so I can add a finned pto cover to it, and freshly painted

That looks nice!

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of guys add surface area to the pump arm to keep it from rubbing through the case. you can google BW 1356 oil pump mod. there are some good pictures and write up s on Fullsizebronco.com. even just google images shows some good shots of it. seems pretty easy for some peace of mind.

I'll check that out. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86