Borg Warner 1356 Transfer Case Rebuild

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
Incase you don't know (or for the next guy).

Take the shifter all the way apart and polish up the sliding components and lube with waterproof boat grease, so it shifts like butter....

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuild kit is on the way from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. Wasn't terribly expensive at $57.25, but hope the bearings aren't made in China.

I'll finish cleaning up the pieces and parts today and plan to reassemble next weekend.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend the oil pump mod! When I rebuilt mine the keeper arm had worn about 60% through the rib in the case. I also had to get a new planetary since mine had too much play. Definitely let us know how yours goes!

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend the oil pump mod! When I rebuilt mine the keeper arm had worn about 60% through the rib in the case. I also had to get a new planetary since mine had too much play. Definitely let us know how yours goes!

Will do, thanks.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be happy it isn`t a Ram.

Looks like they want to Ram it up your....
Must have Gold Flakes in it, to match the
Gold plated C u m m i n s. (that is a dirty word)

Goat

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, sounds like you got everything rolling along...

Didja look closely at the forks ? They have molded plastic or replaceable inserts...I can't remember...but it would be good to carefully check them out to see if the plastic is brittle. Just tryin' to be helpful.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, sounds like you got everything rolling along...

Didja look closely at the forks ? They have molded plastic or replaceable inserts...I can't remember...but it would be good to carefully check them out to see if the plastic is brittle. Just tryin' to be helpful.

I have new inserts on the way with my kit from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard. One of them was broken.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mercon LV. Supposedly Mercon V doesn’t make the TCs happy. Not entirely onboard with that I think the BW1356 got caught up in a broad brushstroke but it’s not a big deal to use LV in the TC.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1356 originally took mercon fluid, but when that got phased out there was something in the later mercon generations that was causing the 1356s to grenade themselves. Ford came out with a special fluid, but now that has been phased out as well and Mercon LV is the recommended fluid from what I can gather. You can read old forum posts from when all of this was happening, Ford had to replace a bunch of TCs on their own dime after they self-destructed.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1356 originally took mercon fluid, but when that got phased out there was something in the later mercon generations that was causing the 1356s to grenade themselves. Ford came out with a special fluid, but now that has been phased out as well and Mercon LV is the recommended fluid from what I can gather. You can read old forum posts from when all of this was happening, Ford had to replace a bunch of TCs on their own dime after they self-destructed.
Well that's not cool...been running synthetic ATF for 10 years

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online