Borg Warner 1356 Transfer Case Rebuild

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So does that mean Mercon LV is what we should run in the manual trans too? Asking cause I probably should dump and refill soon.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does that mean Mercon LV is what we should run in the manual trans too? Asking cause I probably should dump and refill soon.

I just finished my ZF5 rebuild and filled it up today with Mercron V. In doing a bit of research, I saw a few folks said that the ZF5's don't like the low viscosity (LV) Mercron.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think I'm currently running dex/merc in both. So far no issues, but I'll get er swapped out.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Can confirm, did a fluid swap in the Audi recently. The t case for it used 0.9 liter of $120 fluid.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most of the universal ATFs are good to go. Just make sure it lists Ford XL-12 and/or Mercon LV as one of the fluids it’s meant to replace. The “red jug” Valvoline maxlife ATF lists Ford XL-12, I have used it in the past. I have motorcraft Mercon LV in mine now, that’s what Ford recommends.

The thing I know for sure is that you don’t want to use Mercon V. It says right on the bottle not to use it in transfer cases that originally called for Mercon.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are we still good using dex3/merc. That's what I have always used.

James

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's all back together and installed. No real issues with reassembly.

I'll post a link to the YouTube video that I did on the process once it's edited and uploaded.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job. Looks good. I like the manual selector linkage. Much better than a switch and module that reduces 4x4 to a "request" instead of a "command".

I will decide what mode my machine will operate in....not some computer "strategy".

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm also lazy, and will allow our computer overlords to control my car -Down

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job. Looks good. I like the manual selector linkage. Much better than a switch and module that reduces 4x4 to a "request" instead of a "command".

I will decide what mode my machine will operate in....not some computer "strategy".

Yep. I'm all about manual stuff. Most of my musclecars have manual brakes, steering, and transmissions, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online