Do you think it is the E4OD or transfer case?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question, did the trans actually go into Park?
I am interested as I can see something in 4 lo acting odd ,4 lo wont lock the converter.... And you said it turns the wheels in everything else.
Have you tried firing it up at idle and engaging Park with the rears in the air?
Also turning the flex plate with it OFF to get into park...

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to install a BW 1356 transfer case from a 1991 truck but the rear output housing is missing the port for the speedometer cable. Will my 1990 diesel truck still run without the speedometer and the sensor with it hooked up?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Trying to install a BW 1356 transfer case from a 1991 truck but the rear output housing is missing the port for the speedometer cable. Will my 1990 diesel truck still run without the speedometer and the sensor with it hooked up?
No, transmission requires vehicle speed, and I'm pretty sure it gets it from the transfer case.

But I could be wrong. 1990 was a weird year.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just wasted my time and money on a transfer case that will not let my E4OD transmission shift?

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard would it be to swap parts from my old transfer case to the newer case to make it work on my truck?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like something I would try if I had to...they are both 1356's and the years are close.

If your original output shaft and extension housing are good I can concievabley...consieveablbly...shhhoot...it probably will work...

It might be a good idea to check the pockets for the fork rod for oblong wear...Like was mentioned before...and...I think someone else 'somewhere' has learned a valuable lesson in trying to fix the thing 'in the truck' Just pull your t-case out completely and build it on the bench or work table.

One thing I used to do is get another trans-to-t-case adaptor and clamp or bolt it to the bench to give you a fixture to hold the whole assembly upright...that is...with the input and output shaft straight up and shooting for the sky.

I got a feeling that something wore out and went horribly wrong and/or was run low on oil...so...you have this one chance with your parts units to make one good unit.

Gut them both out and see what is useable and get some seals and fork inserts...check your bearings and check the slip yoke bushing, etc.etc. And get-er-dun...dun good...

I got faith in ya...

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were closer @tradergem , I would gladly give you one. I have 4 or 5 laying around. They all work.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The output shafts will look the same, but most of the newer outputs will be missing the spot for the steel ball that locates the speedo drive gear.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of swaping the output shafts and housings today. I would have been done yesterday if the two different cheap snap ring pliers that I got from the local auto parts shops were worth a darn. I am going to try to find a better pair of snap ring pliers so I can finishing the project today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online