4x4 Conversion - Hole for Transfer Case Shifter?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1987 F350 6.9 (now 7.3 IDI-T), ZF5. Originally 2WD, but has a 4x4 ZF5 and swapping in the 1356 (manual shift) next weekend.

Any ideas on where to cut the hole for the transfer case shifter? I'd rather not just torch a hole in the general vicinity.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that conversation years ago in an 84 f150 but I had the '89 I pulled the zf5 and 1356 out of. I still have what's left of that '89, I will see if I can shuffle enough crap around in it to get you some measurements.

James

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture from a 1993 that was a ZF5 and 4x4. I assume it had the same transfer case. I can get dimensions for you tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230506_134940.jpg
    20230506_134940.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 12

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Instead of cutting, you can just swap out the cover plate with the correct one for a 4X4.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get any pictures from the '89 as I never pulled the 4x4 shifter after I wrecked it. Ignore the nose, my dog had to investigate what I was doing.

These are from the hack job where I cut the hole in the '84. The hole along the top edge of tape measure is the first hole from the back.

This is a half ass picture of the size I made the hole. Never had any issues with shifter clearance.

James

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never recorded any measurements but here's a photo of the hole I made for my conversion. Note that this is a 1986 style truck with the newer 87-up shift linkage. I rather like the setup because I can pop the shifter into 4H with a nudge from my boot. Couldn't have done that with a period correct 80-86 style transfer case linkage. The shift boot is also the same going right up to the last of the manual shift superduty trucks, so you can still get new ones. Hopefully you can get a general idea by going off the stamped features in the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_2544.JPG
    IMG_2544.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 18

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get any pictures from the '89 as I never pulled the 4x4 shifter after I wrecked it. Ignore the nose, my dog had to investigate what I was doing.

These are from the hack job where I cut the hole in the '84. The hole along the top edge of tape measure is the first hole from the back.
This is a half ass picture of the size I made the hole. Never had any issues with shifter clearance.

James

Thanks for the info - love the pic of your dog peeking through the floor!!!

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never recorded any measurements but here's a photo of the hole I made for my conversion. Note that this is a 1986 style truck with the newer 87-up shift linkage. I rather like the setup because I can pop the shifter into 4H with a nudge from my boot. Couldn't have done that with a period correct 80-86 style transfer case linkage. The shift boot is also the same going right up to the last of the manual shift superduty trucks, so you can still get new ones. Hopefully you can get a general idea by going off the stamped features in the floor.

Thanks for the pics. Good to know on the shift boot, too. I'll need to source one soon.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't made it back over to my parts truck as I had planned. But I should be able to get to it tomorrow or the next day and I will get some measurements and pictures of the transfer case opening. Just didn't want you to think I forgot.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it done today.

Started by drilling a hole from underneath to mark the center of the hole that needed to be cut. Then got the shifter mounted and figured out where it needed to be enlarged. Then a few more cuts with the death wheel, followed by a quick wire wheel, flap disk, and some paint. I have a shifter boot on the way; hope to install this weekend.

Transfer case rebuild kit arrived today. Hope to finish the rebuild Friday (took the day off work) and get it installed Saturday. Then I can start working on driveshafts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online