Decided to rebuild the IDI

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i came to a conclusion that i should go ahead and rebuild the IDI. it has coolant loss, oil leaks, etc. I got the truck running again and drove it maybe 30 miles total every since i had it maybe 5 months now. It ran strong but problems started showing up. Where can i find the gasket kits for the turbo engine? I searched on google (im a search freak) and cannot find anything. Every link that i find says Non turbo. I did find one though called falcon global on ebay for gaskets and other parts. Is this the go to company for IDI rebuild parts? What should i be on the look out for when taking apart/ rebuilding the motor? Cavitation should be the first thing i suppose. i would really like to make this $1000 dually a long trip hauler without any problems. Truck is young with only 183,***. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150308_173923.jpg
    IMG_20150308_173923.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150408_191118.jpg
    20150408_191118.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20150405_172739.jpg
    20150405_172739.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20150408_191042.jpg
    20150408_191042.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 48

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gasket set should be the same for all idi engines now. Once the newer turbo spec'd engines came out, all the gasket sets were updated to those specs.

A rebuild with good parts won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than buying a new 65000 dollar truck!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly, the cheapest, best thing to do is just buy a promar engine.
3500 ish dollars to your door and DONE!
they sleeve all their blocks, so cavitation is a thing of the past as long as you sca your coolant.
you can go through all the motions of rebuilding it, but its still gonna run you about 3 grand, and its going to take alot longer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-93-94...ine-/371297895421?hash=item56731443fd&vxp=mtr

this will come to you as a long block. you can add features like head studs for an extra price.
everything else can be had at your local auto stores or favorite website.
if you want this rig to not be a custom build and you wanna just drive it, this is my opinion.

i have 100k on my stock 94 7.3 in my 87 F350 CC+ SSB
a 105 cc IP, mister injectors, clapped out ATS 093, and a ZF5. shes no slouch.

and youll have a 3 ry/75000 mi warranty

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine
Ford Truck F450 Super Duty . 15C047 $900 Bradford Auto Parts & Salvage, Inc. USA-FL(Starke) Request_Quote 1-904-966-0774/1-866-836-1264 Request_Insurance_Quote

^he's got 4 of them to pick from for this price.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gasket set should be the same for all idi engines now. Once the newer turbo spec'd engines came out, all the gasket sets were updated to those specs.

A rebuild with good parts won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than buying a new 65000 dollar truck!

Alrighty then, wanted to make sure. so the only thing that would be different from the Turbo and the N/A is the wrist pins on the pistons? a $65,000 truck would be nice but i love my OBS lol.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they sleeve all their blocks, so cavitation is a thing of the past as long as you sca your coolant.
you can go through all the motions of rebuilding it, but its still gonna run you about 3 grand, and its going to take alot longer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-93-94...ine-/371297895421?hash=item56731443fd&vxp=mtr

this will come to you as a long block. you can add features like head studs for an extra price.
if you want this rig to not be a custom build and you wanna just drive it, this is my opinion.

I will consider going that route if i have no major issues. I plan on making it a long trip hauler with a few performance mods such as getting rid of that stupid crushed down pipe and upgrading to the 3 in and upgraded pump. Do u know if that wicked wheel will fit the factory garret turbo instead of the ATS?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIoit is right about the promar. I spent about that much on my rebuild when you include machine work, and I didn't do new pistons or sleeve the motor. I enjoyed building mine though. Your call on what you want to do.

As I understand, your flywheel and harmonic balancer are different being a turbo motor, but if I'm wrong someone here will correct me. Plus what you already mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The fine print says the warranty is void if the vehicle is over 1 ton!
"3 Year 75,000 miles Warranty accept for Ambulance, Off Highway Use, Package Delivery, Police, Taxi, Limousine, Tow Truck or any vehicle over one (1) ton."

sassyrel

Reaction score
Alrighty then, wanted to make sure. so the only thing that would be different from the Turbo and the N/A is the wrist pins on the pistons? a $65,000 truck would be nice but i love my OBS lol.

coating on top of pistons, harder forging in them for turbo. 33 m/m vs 30 m/m wrist pins, icononickel for valves, and hardened seats. if has the original oil cooler,,higher fin count for additional heat...SUPPOSEDLY higher nickel block casting

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do have a new set of .020 pistons with rings, ford oem. If needed.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fine print says the warranty is void if the vehicle is over 1 ton!
"3 Year 75,000 miles Warranty accept for Ambulance, Off Highway Use, Package Delivery, Police, Taxi, Limousine, Tow Truck or any vehicle over one (1) ton."

i will be building my own one day.
but alot of other projects on the list first.
and since it will either go into a 1 ton or a 2.5 ton, i guess the fact of the warranty is out of the window.
perfect for the F250 guys??
its still not a bad price for a sleeved, reman'd engine.
the fact that they sleeve all of their engines is what got me on this hype.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any 7.3 idi gasket set will work. Just make sure you have a 7.3 and not a 6.9 engine. Now how are you certain you have a factory turbo engine in this truck? Any idi engine will fit in the same place the factory turbo engine fits. All the idi engines are drilled the same. Now knowing all this you still can't be sure the possible turbo engine actually has the internal turbo rods and pistons. Only by opening this engine can you tell what you have. Now for a gasket set. Felpro has proven to be about the best there is. Many here really lke the Victor Reinz gaskets too. Now for the oil pan gasket. DO NOT USE ONE... This is important. The factory used an RTV and it really works. Some have tried the gaskets found in some kits only to end up pulling the engines again because they leaked. Its nearly impossible to remove the oil pan in the truck because of the oil pump pick up tube. Its all the way down deep in the sump about 1/8 inch above the oil drain plug. Don't believe that. Next time you change oil stick a rod or screwdriver up in th hole. Promar is a really great company to buy from. They stand behind what they sell. Another good company is Barnett Performance. Finally Mel at Conestoga Diesel Injection is also selling complete turbo engines.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any 7.3 idi gasket set will work. Just make sure you have a 7.3 and not a 6.9 engine. Now how are you certain you have a factory turbo engine in this truck? Any idi engine will fit in the same place the factory turbo engine fits. All the idi engines are drilled the same. Now knowing all this you still can't be sure the possible turbo engine actually has the internal turbo rods and pistons. Only by opening this engine can you tell what you have. Now for a gasket set. Felpro has proven to be about the best there is. Many here really lke the Victor Reinz gaskets too. Now for the oil pan gasket. DO NOT USE ONE... This is important. The factory used an RTV and it really works. Some have tried the gaskets found in some kits only to end up pulling the engines again because they leaked. Its nearly impossible to remove the oil pan in the truck because of the oil pump pick up tube. Its all the way down deep in the sump about 1/8 inch above the oil drain plug. Don't believe that. Next time you change oil stick a rod or screwdriver up in th hole. Promar is a really great company to buy from. They stand behind what they sell. Another good company is Barnett Performance. Finally Mel at Conestoga Diesel Injection is also selling complete turbo engines.
Mine is a turbo charged 94 7.3l XLT IDI Vin k. It didn't come with the factory ATS package.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless the 8th digit in the vin is an M then it came with the optional factory turbo engine.though it might not say "ATS" on it anywhere.that's who ford had build the turbo kits for them back in '93 and '94.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online