BILLOWING white smoke

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the oil cooler: I think the oil pressure is always higher than coolant pressure, which means you end up with oil in the coolant system when an oil cooler fails.

It seems that your coolant is going somewhere, I would pull the valve covers, pressurize the coolant system, and see if you can pinpoint where the pressure is going. If it holds pressure, I would plug in the block heater and see if warmer coolant makes a difference.

Good luck.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when the exhaust was billowing white smoke it was definitely heavy in fuel. I mean the smell. So maybe my oil cooler decided to take a dump after 30,000 miles of being rebuilt and the coolant in the oil is making the injectors squirrelly? Anyone have experience with this?
I just towed the truck home and will get into diag this weekend. I'd just like to know which direction the wind might be blowing in this crap storm.
Thanks for any help provided.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have personally delt with several cracked heads, resulting in billowing white smoke.
ive even had cracked blocks.

easy enough to pressure test the coolant system and see if it leaks down.

Attachments

• 59445-333eed895f3198430e659675569a0b68.jpg
    59445-333eed895f3198430e659675569a0b68.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 10

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the oil cooler: I think the oil pressure is always higher than coolant pressure, which means you end up with oil in the coolant system when an oil cooler fails.

It seems that your coolant is going somewhere, I would pull the valve covers, pressurize the coolant system, and see if you can pinpoint where the pressure is going. If it holds pressure, I would plug in the block heater and see if warmer coolant makes a difference.

Good luck.
When you shut the truck off, the oil pressure drops to 0 but the coolant is still pressurized which can allow coolant into the oil.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke that smells like un-burnt diesel is probably a fuel supply issue (pressure) or an injector problem (o-rings,cups) as coolant doesn't react like oil in the HPO system.

I still suspect the o-ring and injector cup replacement, since they were "serviced" 5k miles ago and the white smoke oil in coolant has occured since then.

Last edited:

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not do cups just injectors seals. The coppers I referred to as the crush washer on the bottom of the injectors.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well provided you removed the old copper seals and didn't accidentally double up and injector, I would still consider the o-rings a high probability since the problem occurred after that repair.

Why were the o-ring originally replaced?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the injectors to shim them and just in case I had a bad seal.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the injectors to shim them and just in case I had a bad seal.

What did you "shim". Armature clearance? Something else?

If you've got the valve covers off, disconect one injector at a time until the smoke goes away indicating the faulty injector.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the armature and something else. The center bolt got a shim and the four bolts holding it down got shims. I forget the names of each.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the coolant look like and are you using any coolant or building coolant and if it idles got any bubbles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online