1991IDI Secret Project.....

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing i have learned from previous big projects- dont change everything at once.

Absolutely. Even if it feels like you're repeating yourself, or spending more time to take things apart again. I'm sure it saves time in the end, certainly saves headaches.

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other thing I wanted to say is someone a page or 2 back mentioned studs. My 88 was pushing 13psi with just the turbo (Sidewinder) & about 17psi with both water/**** nozzles flowing after Mel timed it for me & I never had a problem on stock head bolts.

It will still get head studs before the boost and fuel get turned up- i cant take a risk of getting stuck somewhere halfway across the continent. It will be ******* everything towing heavy up big mountains (thus the massive intercooler and trans cooler as well)
I do feel safe running stock bolts under low boost for now though- also bear in mind same boost pressure out of the larger turbo and intercooled will be more dense and more stressful on everything.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
It will still get head studs before the boost and fuel get turned up- i cant take a risk of getting stuck somewhere halfway across the continent. It will be ******* everything towing heavy up big mountains (thus the massive intercooler and trans cooler as well)
I do feel safe running stock bolts under low boost for now though- also bear in mind same boost pressure out of the larger turbo and intercooled will be more dense and more stressful on everything.

as long as you dont hang out above 15 psi for too long you should be good with a 7.3 on stock bolts, i have herd of over 18 on stock 7.3 but you probly dont want to try it till you get studs

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Derrrrrrrrrrrrr....updates? Oh...and I am still waiting for a vid of that cavalier with the darkstar engine.

SWS

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Dude, way cool hardware!!!!! Makes me want to start on my '67 Loadstar. I'm going with a 30k GM chassis, air braked, with a 4-71 screamin' Jimmy. I guess its the pieces I have come across so I'll put them together the best I can. I'm not going low like you but itsure does suit the International. That may be the coolest low ride I have ever seen!!!! I read this post and you ducked the question: Is this beast rally bound????????????? We would all love to see it. Good Luck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Man, I just had to go tie on a lobster bib because I was drooling all over my keyboard :rotflmao That thing looks amazing. I can't wait to see the finished item :hail

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One picture for now. Should look much better with doors and headlights aseembled as well as the polished stainless bumper built and on.
Looks like progress will need to wait a little bit- its at my parents house and they live right behind a propane depot, well it caught fire today and everyone is evacuated til further notice. As far as i know everyone made it out ok and there was no major destruction, crossing fingers for when we get to go back.

You must be registered for see images attach

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
One picture for now. Should look much better with doors and headlights aseembled as well as the polished stainless bumper built and on.
Looks like progress will need to wait a little bit- its at my parents house and they live right behind a propane depot, well it caught fire today and everyone is evacuated til further notice. As far as i know everyone made it out ok and there was no major destruction, crossing fingers for when we get to go back.

You must be registered for see images attach

Two words DEAD ****!!!!!!!!!:hail:hail

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! even that is fantastic looking!

looks like she may have somewhat "firm" ride quality though

It should ride very well, hopefully. Due to the size of the airbags in it i will be able to drive at low pressure for a decent ride height. I'm actually more worried about it being 'floaty' but the rather large shocks should take care of that.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Cool piece, nothing has style like old tin - unlike the cookie cutter crap they build today -you can't tell one brand from another.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
It should ride very well, hopefully. Due to the size of the airbags in it i will be able to drive at low pressure for a decent ride height. I'm actually more worried about it being 'floaty' but the rather large shocks should take care of that.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
youre gonna have to make some videos or something when it hits the road, i absolutely love it.

i was thinking the sidewall on those big wheels would result in some harshness... maybe your roads are better than ours :mad:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the update and photos. Man, that thing obsolutely has to make it to a Rally when it's all done!

Heath