Project Thread: 1986 F250 “Farm Truck #1” Build Thread

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought Justin’s remaining RD2-80cc from this run. There are a few N/A pumps remaining as of this post.

I have a question: I’ll be running this RD2-80cc pump on an N/A truck, until I can turbo and stud the heads. If I keep my foot out of it and pump screw turned down, Will I run into any temperature issues??? The website says it’s not recommended for N/A motors

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep just get a pyro and pay attention. Shouldn't take long to get used to it. The timing may be off a bit since it'll have more fuel at the same pedal travel but you might be able to dial that in by advancing or retarding the IP. I haven't heard of people doing it so I'm not sure, but in your shoes I'd run it.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep just get a pyro and pay attention. Shouldn't take long to get used to it. The timing may be off a bit since it'll have more fuel at the same pedal travel but you might be able to dial that in by advancing or retarding the IP. I haven't heard of people doing it so I'm not sure, but in your shoes I'd run it.
Thanks. I’ve bought a DTI timing kit so I expect to get it dialed in.

Anyways, here’s the pump!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I see you also got one of the latest run of pumps he made, I also have one. Let us know how it goes!

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the old pump off last night

I’ll clean it up and inspect it before sending it off to Justin as a core.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I had a factory remanufactured pump on my engine too, and my truck only had 72k on it when I initially got it. Wonder what failed on the original.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I had a factory remanufactured pump on my engine too, and my truck only had 72k on it when I initially got it. Wonder what failed on the original.
Are you saying that the pump I have here is a factory reman pump?

I don’t know how the world of reman works, but I wonder if that means it came from older tractor cores (older than this 1989 van 7.3). That would be cool.

I’m told that the whole truck has 270k miles, but I know that the motor has around half that number.

I believe that the truck has 270k on it, the steering wheel is completely worn out from where people have been pulling themselves up into the cab. The pedals show wear. The seats had heavy wear on them, too.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RD2-80cc pump is mounted. Thanks Justin.

The fuel rails have been as interesting as I expected. I’m going to try a new approach with the passenger bank.

1. With the injectors removed from the engine, gently plug each injector into the fuel rail

2. Similar to an injector thread protector cap, run down a lug nut or “modified” injector line to keep the injector held in place

3. Install entire assembly into the injector ports, careful of knicking the pintle tip.

4. Turn each injector one flat at a time sequentially.

Hopefully this will prevent the rail from going on lopsided and ripping an o ring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online