1991IDI Secret Project.....

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
them tires and rims look like some kind of wicked low profile big rimmed forklift tires. Who made those rims and are those tires solid?? and you gotta put some chicken lights on the outside lower corners of the bumper!! the same ones as on the cab. IMO

the rims are standard 22.5 (front) and 24.5 (rear) aluminum forged from alcoa. they are intended for semi trucks. the OP then had the bead seats cut down so they would hold a standard 22" (front) and 24" (rear) light truck tire.

IMO: they ride like they are solid. anyone who thinks 30 series tires ride well is on crack or just out of touch with that good ride quality is. it is possible to build a suspension that is very soft and forgiving to partially make up for the tires harshness. but those big wheels are heavy and you will feel them being thrown around by the road.

to the OP: can you tell when you have a flat with those? seems like it would feel the same and ride the same until the tire came off the rim.

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rims are standard 22.5 (front) and 24.5 (rear) aluminum forged from alcoa. they are intended for semi trucks. the OP then had the bead seats cut down so they would hold a standard 22" (front) and 24" (rear) light truck tire.

IMO: they ride like they are solid. anyone who thinks 30 series tires ride well is on crack or just out of touch with that good ride quality is. it is possible to build a suspension that is very soft and forgiving to partially make up for the tires harshness. but those big wheels are heavy and you will feel them being thrown around by the road.

to the OP: can you tell when you have a flat with those? seems like it would feel the same and ride the same until the tire came off the rim.

Correct on the wheels being milled alcoas.

As for tires, i'm not really sure where the (mis)conception about riding bad came from. It rides the same as it did on 16's (i ran those for the first little bit) I think most people have really low profile tires on cars that have harsh suspension to start with. My cavalier rides good with 25 series tires on the back and 30 series on the front as well.
Either way, it rides good for a big truck- helps that i can run low pressure in the bags i guess.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd hit it.

Well done.

Only thing I might have done different is Black or Body color on frame paint. And A full polish on the Alcoa's.. but that is what I do. So I am partial to being coated in Aluminum Oxide.

On edit, it looks like they might be polished, the lighting makes the rear look dull.

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd hit it.

Well done.

Only thing I might have done different is Black or Body color on frame paint. And A full polish on the Alcoa's.. but that is what I do. So I am partial to being coated in Aluminum Oxide.

On edit, it looks like they might be polished, the lighting makes the rear look dull.

Fronts are polished, rears are started to be cleaned up for polishing but not finished. Someday i will get time to finish them up, but lots of other stuff to take care of first.
Did not want a black frame since it would be too dark (although the paint was suppose to be a darker gray, but wasnt when it dried) I actually like the lighter gray now, it has really grown on me.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is one of the most interesting custom vehicles I have ever seen. I really admire the effort you put in and results you acheived here. And as stated already please more pics. Interior, under the hood, at ride height, on the road etc.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW. How did I miss this build thread... guess I was too busy with my own.

Fantastic work, something to be truely proud of. Best looking Cornbinder I ever saw. ;Sweet

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is one of the most interesting custom vehicles I have ever seen. I really admire the effort you put in and results you acheived here. And as stated already please more pics. Interior, under the hood, at ride height, on the road etc.

I will post up more pics as i get a chance to take them.